Barrel mounted aperture sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have a rifle that you can't/ don't want to permanently mod, a barrel mounted aperture may be for you. Or an open configuration if you prefer.
The sight pictured15760142343311497383657.jpg 01576014281900330001578.jpg 1576014331121547456504.jpg 1576014331121547456504.jpg on " Victoria" my repop 1853 Enfield ( Euroarms) is one designed for the TC Black Diamond. I used the screw and hole from the original rear sight. It fits like it was made for it.
The 3rd group measures 13/16ths for 3 at 50 yards.
The front sight is quite small and on this GLOOMY day it gave a flyer. The first group was good. The 2nd group I made some sight adjustments.
3rd was a jaw dropper!
So. If you're considering a barrel mounted aperture, even though it's not the optimal set up, it obviously can work. Looks pretty good too.
Vicky is a grand old lady! 100% reliable, accurate ( 1-72 twist), well made and surprisingly fine handling too.
I've had her 21 years, with a combined blank/ ball round count of about 3000, 4 deer and God knows how many Yankees to her credit.
Thought she would be honorably retired, but I got curious... Glad I did too.
The load is a Lyman 575213 and 50 grains of 3f Swiss. Haven't chrono'd yet, but am guessing about 1050 fps.
BOOM...whop.

Attachments

• 1576014427396914418630.jpg
    1576014427396914418630.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 11
I have seen some pretty cool ideas for “Home made” Peeps, one that sticks in my mind and I thought was Neat, and ingenious, was a Neodymium Magnet with a Hole in it, Stuck to the Rear Sight. I’ll have to look and see if i can find that pic? It would fit good in this Thread :lewis:

These pics belong to Rob rfd, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind me posting them. I thought these were pretty darn Cool!

Neodymium Magnets
6FX5e3K.jpg

XdhPv14.jpg

hqvapDH.jpg

U81VgR5.jpg

IKXAXVH.jpg

keEk9Xl.jpg

V7oJTTY.jpg

If it weren’t for Peep sights I would be in BIG TROUBLE! They are my BEST FRIEND, and on EVERY Muzzleloading Rifle that i Shoot.

They can be a HORRIBLY POOR Hunting sight in low light, But Simply NOTHING Better for Targets, other than a Scope
They are very hard for me to see in hunting conditions I found out this year with my Lyman GPR

They are very hard for me to see in hunting conditions I found out this year with my Lyman GPR

I hear ya! Peep sights have Costed MANY Folks a Shot at an Animal that they Very likely could have Made with regular open Sights.

A Peep sight is a HORRIBLY POOR low light Hunting sight PLAIN N SIMPLE!! Especially when you ad the Target Globe Front sights with tiny/fine BPCR inserts, They literally VANISH in Low light! You are literally trying to look through a Very small Dark Tunnel 25-30” Away, In Low light this can Simply be IMPOSSIBLE to do!!

But this same setup is INCREDIBLE in Good Lighting, on Targets. As I’ve said several times before, I shoot these Peep Sight Setups SO WELL that i am Willing to Trade off Low light Hrs for Times of Good Lighting, I know If i see an Animal at 200-250 Yards i can EASILY Make that Shot! Where there is NO WAY i would even Try that Shot with Regular Open Sights, i feel fortunate to Hit a Pie plate every Shot at 100 Yards with Regular Open Sights.

Simple fact is, Peep sights are NOT for everyone!! My advice is to Shoot what you are Comfortable with :lewis:

I like peeps quite a lot but I honestly don't know how well I'd like them if the aperture was that far forward.

I like peeps quite a lot but I honestly don't know how well I'd like them if the aperture was that far forward.

I wonder the EXACT thing? I have NEVER Tried a Barrel Peep like the above? ALL of mine are Tang Mounted , My Eye to Peep is RIGHT THERE, Which i REALLY Like.

Last edited:
I have a "ghost ring" sight on my Renegade in the factory rear sight position, it is a F.O. peep sight with green F.O. dots on each side that match the diameter of the front sight F.O. dot. I found it on ebay, I believe it was made by Williams if I remember right. I'd have to measure it to tell you the diameter, but it's pretty good sized, probably close to 1/4". I like it alright, my eye automatically centers the front sight in it so that my sight in distance is held with all 3 dots level with each other. It isn't the greatest for pin point accuracy on paper, I believe the F.O.'s are .029", I'd much prefer a .010" like I have on my bow, but I bought it for a hunting setup and it works well for that. The large peep diameter combined with the F.O. dots are very good in low light.
If I linked this right, below is a link to what it looks like.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...dindex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=0,1,2,3,4,6,8,10

I hear ya! Peep sights have Costed MANY Folks a Shot at an Animal that they Very likely could have Made with regular open Sights.

A Peep sight is a HORRIBLY POOR low light Hunting sight PLAIN N SIMPLE!! Especially when you ad the Target Globe Front sights with tiny/fine BPCR inserts, They literally VANISH in Low light! You are literally trying to look through a Very small Dark Tunnel 25-30” Away, In Low light this can Simply be IMPOSSIBLE to do!!

But this same setup is INCREDIBLE in Good Lighting, on Targets. As I’ve said several times before, I shoot these Peep Sight Setups SO WELL that i am Willing to Trade off Low light Hrs for Times of Good Lighting, I know If i see an Animal at 200-250 Yards i can EASILY Make that Shot! Where there is NO WAY i would even Try that Shot with Regular Open Sights, i feel fortunate to Hit a Pie plate every Shot at 100 Yards with Regular Open Sights.

Simple fact is, Peep sights are NOT for everyone!! My advice is to Shoot what you are Comfortable with :lewis:
I agree they at great at the range I love them

Aperture size is critical to success where ever mounted.
An important item is to black your aperture disc. Especially true with a barrel mount as light conditions can be challenging.
Barrel mounted aperture aren't a new idea. The Danish Madsen bolt action had a forward mount, the Krag had a pivoting aperture some versions of the issue rear sight and I believe the ladder sight of the 1903 Springfield had one too.
Perhaps the most familiar is the Japanese Type 99 rifle from WW2.
As I said, it isn't the best position for a peep. But it can work quite well with practice.

I have a "ghost ring" sight on my Renegade in the factory rear sight position, it is a F.O. peep sight with green F.O. dots on each side that match the diameter of the front sight F.O. dot. I found it on ebay, I believe it was made by Williams if I remember right. I'd have to measure it to tell you the diameter, but it's pretty good sized, probably close to 1/4". I like it alright, my eye automatically centers the front sight in it so that my sight in distance is held with all 3 dots level with each other. It isn't the greatest for pin point accuracy on paper, I believe the F.O.'s are .029", I'd much prefer a .010" like I have on my bow, but I bought it for a hunting setup and it works well for that. The large peep diameter combined with the F.O. dots are very good in low light.
If I linked this right, below is a link to what it looks like.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=79FF44F81001840689ED82FF22128F4F8EFF0669&thid=OIP.I4gsM4uX47J7vbAON8F9mAHaE7&mediaurl=https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/w/i/williams-ghost-ring-sight_3.jpg&exph=799&expw=1199&q=williams+ghost+ring+peep+sight+for+tc+renegade&selectedindex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=0,1,2,3,4,6,8,10
I have the same on my WMC .45. i i li it a lot.

When I hunt with my .54 Lyman GPR Hunter I just remove the aperture and use it like a ghost ring along with the filed down factory blade. The upper half of the blade is painted fluorescent pink.

Used peeps on all my rifles BP and not, very few maintained the "fine" aperture, took them out unless shooting on the grass lands of Kansas and such. can't even use standard irons any more with the eyes, don't use bladed front sights either single gold bead on post

I have peeps on most of my BP rifles, half on the barrel and half on the tang.
The work great either way, but the tang mounted is a lot faster to line up.
For hunting, I like them both the same.
All of them have large apertures installed for low light hunting.
Sam A.

Latest posts

Back