barrel specs help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmball

Reaction score
So I am in the process of rebuilding the rifle that I killed my first deer with. It was my grandfather's T/C Hawken .50 cal with a 15/16" barrel that wasn't maintained very well by him through the years. I am wanting to rebarrel with a custom barrel. I am thinking .45 in a fast twist, probably a 1:20". I want to shoot full bore conicals and paper patch bullets. It will be used for hunting in the woods mostly. I do have a few places where I can get longer shots, and I would also like to go back out west again for antelope or mule deer so I need it to be 200 yard capable. I am thinking of keeping bullet weights between 350 and 500 grains and using charges between 70 and 100 grain equivalents. What bore and groove diameter is best for this, and what is the optimal twist rate?

So far I have checked with Colerain and Oregon and they are around $200 or less. I have no doubt that Rice barrels are outstanding, but his fast twist .45 drop in barrel is a bit pricey and it is also a 1" diameter. I know it is 4140 steel with a CNC breech plug installed, so the price is justified, but I have a breech plug already and can get other barrels for $200 or less. Any recommendations are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

I know you say no on the Rice, But They would DEFINITELY be my Recommendation, Due to my Hands on Experience with mine, It is UNDOUBTEDLY one of the Most Accurate Barrels i own, or have ever Owned for that matter. My Knight Mountaineer 1:20 Twist was a Very Accurate Rifle, But my 1:20 Rice MATCH GRADE Definitely had the Edge over the GM Barreled Knight. I would Put Money on the Rice over the GM Barrels ANYDAY!! And i love my GM Barrels, But they Simply aren’t the Same MATCH GRADE Quality

The 1:20 Twist is FLAT OUT AWESOME, With a 350-425 Grain Bullet, I don’t think it can be beat? I Shoot little 250 Grain .45 Pistol Bullets in my Rice 1:20 Twist, all the way up to the Larger 450 Grain Bullets, All about Equally Well

As for Colerain, i have never used them? But have heard NOTHING BUT GOOD about them. Same with the Oregon Barrel Co. I have no hands on Experience with them? But have heard Good things. I did Talk to them Last year about a Build and at that time their Barrel Builder was out from a Stroke, They expected him to make a Recovery and Be back, He was Slowly coming along when i spoke with them Last Winter, I haven’t heard anything more about The Oregon Barrel Co.?

I saw your Youtube video shooting the new Rice .45 barrel and the accuracy was impressive. But it is a 1" barrel and I need a 15/16" and I can't afford to spend $400 on that barrel and then turn around and drop $450+ on a barrel for my smokeless build I have lined up as well.

I saw your Youtube video shooting the new Rice .45 barrel and the accuracy was impressive. But it is a 1" barrel and I need a 15/16" and I can't afford to spend $400 on that barrel and then turn around and drop $450+ on a barrel for my smokeless build I have lined up as well.

A guy can spend some money in this Stuff, that’s for Sure! :)

Ok, I made a mistake when a lot of info I read starting to run together. I just looked at the Rice website and he will make a fast twist blank in 15/16". Its the drop in that is so dang expensive. I need to email Jason and ask what he can do a blank for. Idaholewis, you have me rethinking the Rice now.

Ok, I made a mistake when a lot of info I read starting to run together. I just looked at the Rice website and he will make a fast twist blank in 15/16". Its the drop in that is so dang expensive. I need to email Jason and ask what he can do a blank for. Idaholewis, you have me rethinking the Rice now.

I wish i had experience with more than just this 1 Rice Barrel, Like i have with these Green Mountains. There is a Guy just south of me about 40 Miles that Bought one of these Rice Drop in Barrels after Seeing mine Shoot, Same .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, I plan on getting together with him and a Friend of his and Doing some Shooting, I would like to Test a few of my WELL Proven loads in his Rice Barrel and See how they do? If they all Shoot like This Barrel of mine, They can’t be beat!

Back