Barrel Twist Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
So I posted up I got  new to me Hawken coming.
Nothing wrong with the original barrel, but I want a barrel with deep cut rifling, T/C's are shallow. I like a thick patch that loads easy.
Got a line on a new 32" G/M drop in barrel, which I will most likely cut to 30" for better handling.
However it is a 1/70 twist.
Think it a bit to slow?
I am looking for top accuracy to at least 100yds.

That twist will get you top notch accuracy at 100 yards. May just consider keeping it 32" and not have to worry about getting the right crown on it.

the perfect twist for a 50 cal. if this is a fifty cal is 1/60 twist. that is because it can be loaded heavy or light and it still will shoot very accurate. how ever a 1/70 can be made light but use a heavier powder load as a 50 cal 1/70 twist has to be pushed faster for accuracy. now if it is another cal than a 50 this above info wont pertain to your gun. what cal is it or did i miss that part?

50 Cal. Percussion.
I wonder if there is a company that can make me a barrel with a 1:60 twist

mofish,thanks for that input, ive used them several times. just tell them you want a 1/60 twist 50 cal with deep grooves and it will be a very very good barrel that shoots to the mark every time with any load you put in it. thank the guys that used to own deer island. they come up with this twist for the 50 and they are 100 percent right. their was and still mabe a barrel builder on the east coast that uses one in 56 twist and his barrels are tack drivers also. the one in 56 is perfect for a 45 cal round ball. if you are making a barrel for a sabot in 50 cal for a sabot and 451 bullet go for a one in 32 twist instead of a one in 28. a one in 32 will be easier to find a sabot filled with a bullet to shoot good as well as all the other bullets available for a fast twist barrel. if you want to shoot a sabot with a 250 grain pistol bullet in 451 cal a one in 36 twist will shoot to 1000 yards right on. build the barrel of your dreams at the oregon rifle barrel co. roger

Just called Oregon barrels.
Their barrel maker guy had a stroke, said he wants to return to work but 
it will be a few more months at least.

1:60 sounds perfect with deep cut rifling and I would prefer a 30"

I can only speak of .54 caliber, but my GM 1:70 barrel is the most accurate I have and easily makes one-hole groups at 50 yards off the bench and 2" or so at 100 yards with PRB.  It is so accurate I have been considering another.

you are correct when you say a 1/70 twist for a .54 cal. perfect in every way, how ever for a 50 cal it is accurate only if you push it fast. if you want a twist for a 50 cal that uses any load a 1/60 or 1/56 is best. again 1/70 for a 54 is perfect and will continue to give you the accuracy you require, enjoy your gun, thanks for your input.

Back