beautiful barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chaded said:
Nice! I thought Barnes didn't open up and only penciled through? :roll:

Some people would like you to believe that. I only use the T-EZs.

Re: RE: Re: beautiful barnes

jsteurrys said:
"chaded" said:
Nice! I thought Barnes didn't open up and only penciled through? :roll:

Some people would like you to believe that. I only use the T-EZs.
Never had any luck with the Barnes bullets. Below is the results of my go to round. 117 gr. Of BH209 and a 300 Speer DCHP. I wish they were easier to find.

a40ad287ad5b2a5316a1f566f74fb256.jpg

e8b48b610c1abe1651f61df02f073f67.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

While not the best photo, this is a .54 cal 275 gr. Barnes mz. It was shot in front of 100 gr. Pyrodex into a mature mule deer buck at 95 yards out of my T/C Hawken. It hit high shoulder area and was a bang flop kill. It performed perfectly.

I have since successfully used power belt platinums and Harvester PT golds in my CVA Kodiak.

I recently bought 48 expander mz for my .50 call to try out. I think its fun to test and try all kinds of bullets.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449542461.596330.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449542461.596330.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 745
This year's muzzleloader results -

Barnes T-EZ 290, 110gr BH209, 189 yards; October in New Mexico:

Same load, 120 yards, taken Saturday by my son:

They work just fine for me, and far better than the TC Shockwaves as far as performance.

Attachments

• elk - smaller.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 728
  • RyDeerMZ.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 728
Yeah i know the deal on military using non expansion bullets. Hollow points and lead core bullets or lead nose bullets tend to deform and expand to an extent. I would tend to believe that say a bullet like the spit fire with a small hollow point would have a harder time expanding at a lower velocity but would react the same way as a 5.56 xm193 round and tumble on empact therefore creating a larger wound channe then just the bullet diameter. The rear of the bullet weighing more then the front so the momentum of the rear would push forward.
so there lies the beauty of poly tipped bullets. Increased aerodynamics and higher BC but still get to maintain a larger hollow point.
to each their own. Whatever works for you shoot it.

The only tipped one i use is the 300gr 458 SOCOM and i have no complaints. It shoots insanely well in my 54-120 with a Harvester 54x45 sabot. Its probably the only boat tail bullet ive ever gotten to shoot this well and it does it in a non BT sabot too. In my brush gun though i have no need of the tip. BC is meaningless in this rifle and the intended range.

True. Inside 100yds i like the good old expander mz. Thats my timber gun set up.

Latest posts

Back