bedding with devcon plastic steel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellerja

Reaction score
I've heard great things about it. has anyone used this product? if so how did you like it?

Don't know anything about it but I've heard good also. They have it on either midway USA or Brownells site. I looked it up the other day. Pretty expensive though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It is a bit expensive if you buy the large 1lb containers, they will do several rifles. I have been finding it a good hardware stores in small tubes, that are more than enough for one rifle. Just make sure you get the one that says Plastic Steel and not Plastic Weld, 2 different things. The Plastic Steel is Gray in color. It is used quite often to bed and or glue in a Benchrest action. It can be machined after it dries. It is similar to JB Weld. The smith I use to build rifles and built my Br rifles uses it 99% of the time. Glass works good too, but I had better results with Devcon giving me less air bubbles.

Yep, I have used this stuff extensively over the past 10 years for bedding most of my guns. I am on my 4th pound of the plastic steel 10110. It does weigh a bit so when I build a gun that I want to be lightweight as possible, I use the Devcon titanium epoxy 10760. It has a tad shorter work time than 10110 but works great. I weigh the stuff on a digital scale and mix accordingly. It will also accept brown dye to make it match wood stocks if you care about that.

Paste wax works good for release agent but takes a while. I really like Brownell's Accra-Release. It's expensive but it goes on very quick and works great.

Be sure to coat the inletting as well as the rifle action prior to assembling the parts. This helps make a nice void free professional looking finish.

I have used it and it works well but I have also used JB Weld and AccuGel successfully also.

Latest posts

Back