Best Bullet for the $$$

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulions

Reaction score
Hornady XTP .430 300 gr. or the Nosler Partition. What do you guys think. Is there anything the nosler can do that the XTP can't. I'm not talking about any of the other XTP's. Just the .430 300 gr. bullet. It seems to be about the best XTP there is. They sure are a lot cheaper. Do you guys see any reason to pay the extra money for the Noslers? Let me know what you think. I am thinking about getting some but I already have a bunch of the XTP's. What should I do?

Hulions

Is there anything the nosler can do that the XTP can't

Well Ya!!! - the Nosler is a far stronger bullet. The lead will not and can not separate from the copper. It is designed to expand to a certain point, then continue to penetrate while cutting its way through the animal + it also creates a tremendous hydrostatic shock - a shock that lets the animal know now!

Just my opinion - and I am biased - there are better projectiles out there any of the XTP's at approximately the same cost. I use to shoot a lot of XTP's but in testing I have move away.

Please do not get me wrong either the XTP is a dependable accurate bullet but it can separate and it can fail.

If you already have XTP's continue to use them - especially hunting deer - they are effective. I hand deer with a .452/260 grain Nosler and once you see the effect they are hard to argue - but they are to expensive!

OK. Which one should I buy then. I will be hunting whitetails and wild hogs with them. I already have some Harvester 50/44 sabots, both the regular and the crush rib. So, should I get the 44 cal. 240 gr. or get 45 cal. 260 or 300 gr. If so, what sabot should I get to shoot in my Omega and Endeavor.

Hulions

OK. Which one should I buy then. i will be hunting whitetaild and wild hogs with them. I already have some Harvester 50/44 sabots, both the regular and the crush rib. So, should I get the 44 cal. 240 gr. or get 45 cal. 260 or 300 gr. If so, what sabot should I get to shoot in my Omega and Endeavor.

Assuming you are talking about Noslers???

The 44 cal which is a .429/250 grain will work just fine with the Harvesters that you have. I have the Omega but it is the older variety with the 502 bore - so I would think either or ar least one of the two would work just fine. Actually they shoot very well form my Omega...

I am old and hard for me to change my ways... when I first started shooting ML's I gravitated right away to the 44 cal bullet because they carried a better BC than the 45's - but after a few years I finally figured out that the BC on a ML at ML velocities and ML ranges is really no big deal... so I shoot 45's most of the time now - or .458's (45-70) rifle bullets.

The investment in a Noslers is big - well it is for me - I shoot the 260 while hunting deer and the 300 for elk (thicker skin possible longer ranges) If you do not want make that investment Speer offers a .430/270 grain Gold Dot that would be excellent all around bullet (bonded with controlled expansion) I call them a "poormans" Nosler or the .452/300 grain Gold Dot.

Remember this is just my opinion - you need to do what you feel comfortable with... Here is the result of one .458/300 grain Nosler @ 175+ yards....

CompositCowElk.jpg

Thanks Sabotloader. I did meen 250 gr. not 240. I'll check out the gold dots also.

pict00842.jpg

This is an exit wound from a 90lb doe shot with the .451 300g Nosler PP at about 100 yards... I like the 250 bonded Shockwaves really well but If I were paying big bucks to go on a hunt, I would only consider one bullet... the big narly Nosler... :wink:

flint head

That is the perfect example of the exit wound of a Nosler. A lot of people complain that it is not bigger and more brutal - but in actuallity it did exactly what the bullet was designed to do. I believe blood would exit from that wound just fine as well as the one on the other side...

The most crucial part for me is what happened in between the two holes. It would be my guess that the internal organs really caught h-e-double hockey sticks - but the damage to the meat - the part I am after - is really minimal - if you can call to bloddy holes and blood shot minmal - but I am sure you know what I mean Mr. Flint Head.

Hello: I'm shooting the Nosler 260 Partition/Harvester short sabot and 80gr. (weighed) BH 209 with excellent results from a newer TC Omega SS/Laminate. I can keep 3 shots MOA @ 100 yds regularly. I'm a firm believer in Nosler and Barnes. Don't short change on the bullet in a hunting situation. It pays in the long run to not use the best you can afford, simply use the best!

Chief

Dat's Y da Trashcans shine......

I knows dat - u knows dat - everyone @ DWB nose dat.... eeben da old timers nose dat... but - but dis iz america... wy wood u go a by a freight train - ifn a steamliner is available? ya gotta waach color TV instead of dem B&W's - ya no da new TV wit da digital picture that brings you so much more - so they can charge you more...

Da new presydent might eeben have something ta say about dat & lead in da future anywaze.[/quote]

spence

Don't get me wrong Chief is right - his 'trashcan' will work as he says and they work very well for a lot of people - even me when our ML season gets here in Idaho - but when it is rifle season I do prefer to use the velocity approach to the slower approach even though it is a very small difference.

Although I have settled on the .430 300 gr. XTP for deer and the Remington .458 405 gr. .45/70 bullet for anything bigger out of my muzzleloading rifles, I love the Nosler Partition bullet for hunting in all of my centerfires. It would NEVER be a mistake to use the Nosler in a muzzleloader. The Gold Dot is also a dandy bullet.

Choose the one that you like...you will cleanly harvest game with any of them.

sabotloader said:
spence

Don't get me wrong Chief is right - his 'trashcan' will work as he says and they work very well for a lot of people - even me when our ML season gets here in Idaho - but when it is rifle season I do prefer to use the velocity approach to the slower approach even though it is a very small difference.

At our age, Mike,,,,I don't get in too big a hurry.... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Yep,,,if yer shootin' out 150+ yards,,,speed is a good thing. My longest shot here in Indiana was 152 yads lazered. The buck took about 5 steps after being hit with a Trashcan. 8) Most shots are 50-75 yards max. But I practice at 100 yards+,, shooting clay pigeons.

Granted,,,they have the trajectory of a football,,,,but if ya know yer gun and spend time on the range,,,,,it ain't no big deal. :wink:

Latest posts

Back