Best sight in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start out at 25 yds, get it on paper if nothing else till you get a group of three. Then move back to 50 yds, do the same, about a inch high, then see where you are at 100 yds. then depending on where you hunt an how long your shots will be go from there. I have my center fire rifles dead on or no more than one inch high at 100 yds. My muzzleloaders either dead on at 100 yds or just under. My longest killing shots todate are 165yds, but most are around 75-100 yds or even less.

I guess that depends on where your hunting. I hunt in the woods in southern Missouri. After rifle season late in the year when muzzeloader season rolls around. The deer tend to stay in thicker cover for the most part in the day time hours. Muzzeloader season I setup more like I’m bow hunting instead of gun hunting because the deer are in thicker cover. So I’m not going to get or atleast not expecting to get any long shots.

When sighting in I start off at 25yds then I move back and zero in dead on at 100yds. I do shoot my gun at 50-150yds just to see what it’s doing at those ranges. Walking in and out of the woods I might get a longer shot down a trail road or just a open spot in the woods. But my stands are usually setup for 50-75yds and under.

All mine are 100yd zero, just my personal preference. I have drop and ballistic charts based on my 100yd zero so I can use holdover, BDC dots, or clicks on the turrets.

Ditto to what everyone said. I sight my ML’s in at 75yds as most of my shots in PA are around that range. But then I shoot at 5 & 100 yds to see how high or low they are.

After mounting a new scope I start off at 25 yards and once I get it zeroed in, I adjust my rifle/ML to the range I expect my shots to be. In most cases I’ll sight my center fire rifles to be 1” high at 100 yds as I know the difference between 50-150 yds is not much to worry about.

Expected range is important, but so is your load. My favorite favorite load throws a 250 grain XTP at 1600 fps. My rifle is aperture sighted, so I'm +2 at 50 and on at 100. Its down 8 at 150 and 24 at 200 ( tested, not just from the book). 150 is as far as I care to go, but most of my shots are under 75. Did break a doe's neck at 150 once...

I start at 25 and move to 75 or 100 for final zero depending on the rifle and intended hunting area

Always zero at 100 yards then depending on bullet and load I have 6 to 12 inches drop at 200 yards.

At the present time i am using a .40 custom TC Omega built by Jeff Fisk (Bestill Creations) 84 grains Blackhorn 209 pushes a 250 grain Pittman Accumax at 2350 fps. I am zeroed at 100 yards and have 5.5 inches drop at 200 yards. Not to shabby for a smoker !

Back