BH 209 breech plug cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michigan man

Reaction score
I have the CVA 209 breech plug on my Wolf and have tried about everything recommended on this site to clean it. I never could get it really clean until today. I made a paste out of Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish and scrubbed it with a small brass brush. It came out spotless.

Re: RE: BH 209 breech plug cleaning

michigan man said:
I have the CVA 209 breech plug on my Wolf and have tried about everything recommended on this site to clean it. I never could get it really clean until today. I made a paste out of Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish and scrubbed it with a small brass brush. It came out spotless.
Carb cleaner

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I use the recommended drill bit by hand, then a nipple pick for the small hole. Soak it in windex and swab it out. A blast of air and it's good to go.

dbowling said:
sounds like it would work, I just use hopppes #9 and q tips
Same for me. wet it down well with the #9 before cleaning the rest of the rifle and let it soak and clean last. Always cleans right up.

The CVA parts cleaner jar has worked well for me. I hit it with a drill bit at the range and soak it in the parts jar during the 1 hr drive home. Then a quick swipe with a Q-tip with Hoppes #9 while cleaning the rest of the gun has got the breech plug back to clean bare metal.

OK, it seems like everyone has an easy time cleaning their breech plug. I don't. Any suggestions on why mine is so dirty and hard to clean even after a few shots? I use Federal 209A primers and 90 grains (by volume) of BH 209.

I Win blue box primers and actually 110 by volume of BH209. Like I said, the correct size drill bit for the back side and a nipple pick or even a torch tip cleaner ( used one last night) for the fine hole, swab out the larger front hole and a little air and your done!

michigan man said:
OK, it seems like everyone has an easy time cleaning their breech plug. I don't. Any suggestions on why mine is so dirty and hard to clean even after a few shots? I use Federal 209A primers and 90 grains (by volume) of BH 209.

Are you meaning dirty on the inside, or outside of the plug? I'm assuming inside. BH isn't any worse than others it seems dirty wise, but it gets super hard in the flame channel. Typically you need a drill bit to clean that out properly, even after only a few shots. I've always soaked my plug in windex w/vinegar while cleaning my rifle, then its softened up a bit - drill it out by hand and clean it up. Personally, I don't typically touch the flash hole it shouldn't really be clogged unless you have an issue. Nipple pick would be better than torch tip cleaner, as its smooth.

On the outside, not on the threads but the big flange on top where the primer pocket is and that slot where you use that tool to tighten your plug the first time you use it. I also drill out the primer pocket (by hand) every 4 shots.

On outside if I have a tough spot I use either a stiff tooth brush or a small real stiff bristle scrub brush, always comes off with either of those.

michigan man said:
On the outside, not on the threads but the big flange on top where the primer pocket is and that slot where you use that tool to tighten your plug the first time you use it. I also drill out the primer pocket (by hand) every 4 shots.

michigan man said:

Sounds like you may be getting a lot of blow back around the primer.

I'm new to this; others here probably have good ideas on how to reduce blow back (eg., using other primers; shims on the firing pin retainer screw, o-rings, etc.).

Shim kits are available for the firing pin bushing or you can use the rubber O-rings in the primer pocket. There are metal shims that some use in the primer pocket but I have no experience with them. Personally I use a rubber o-ring in the primer pocket on my .45 cal Kodiak. I use nothing on any of my more current 50 cals after switching to the Winchester 209 shot shell reloading primer in the blue box. In my 50's I get zero blow back just from the primer switch.

That makes sense about the blowback. Where do you get these O-rings and what size would you use? I'm kind of confused on how you actually use them, please explain. Thanks

Need to remember though....CVA primer pockets are larger OD than a Knight. Those shims might be loose in a CVA plug.

The correct way for a CVA is to shim OUT the firing pin bushing. Call CVA and tell them your firing pin bushing is not flush with the frame. They have shims made for the bushing. You are only supposed to use them to "flush it" but as long as you can get a .003 primer crush and less than .005 you will be fine. You just need to remember to always use the same primers after shimming it out.

Personally i would rather have more of my primer IN the breach plug than less.
http://shop.cva.com/pc_product_detail.a ... 8CF5755BFC

I'll try the blue box Win. 209 primers first and if that doesn't work I'll get the shim kit from CVA. Thanks everyone for the help.

I use CCI 209M primers, without an issue, Some will tell you that the magnum primers will burn out the flash hole sooner. I will replace if needed. I want fast and reliable ignition.

Some plugs benefit more from mag primer than others. Lehigh's Knight plugs and Omega plugs for example are just fine with a standard primer.

I have tried a few things for cleaning ML parts with burned powder.
I always come back to windex in my small spray bottle. Its amazing how much better it cleans than all those especially designed expensive cleaners which are health hazards.
Just spray it on and the crap runs off.

Latest posts

Back