BH-209, WILD shots after cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddpipkin

Reaction score
After my last range session, I cleaned the Omega with Hoppes #9 as suggested by Western Powders. After cleaning, I wiped the bore with tight-fitting patches, three times. Then once more with a double patch - REAL tight, to ensure that the bore was dry.

Next visit to the range, my first four shots (84 gr. by weight of Blackhorn 209, 250 Barnes T-SF, in T-C Super-Glide sabots) scattered wildly. Then the next four made a 1.4" group, dead center.

I certainly can't fire four rounds before each hunt to get my rifle settled in and ready.

I have heard of some shooters swabbing the bore with alcohol before loading. Does this really help dry the bore so the first shot goes where it should?

Any other suggestions?

Next time try swabbing the bore with an alcohol patch and then dry patch. This will remove any oil from the bore and should solve the problem. Before I shoot I use two dry patches (both sides) then a alcohol patch and then two more dry patches. My Omega shoots right with the group on the first shot. It may be about an inch high but not enough to worry about. Hope this helps.

I have read here that it's a good idea to fire a primer or two to ensure a dry barrel.

Yep, swab the barrel with acholol and then a dry patch. Then fire two or three primers to foul the barrel. You should be ready to go at this point.

Shoot your gun before your hunting season or trip... clean it when you are done ...

The whole idea behind BH209 is you do not have to clean it right away... I have 5 guns that wont be scrubbed down for another month.

You may not like this approach but it is the only way to be certain of your POI when Mr. big steps out.

As I do with my Savage, I'll fire a group at the range to get the barrel properly fouled and then leave it until I'm done hunting. As an experiment I left the Encore barrel fouled this way with BH209 for 3 weeks and there was zero corrosion...good enough for me.

I have also found that I need to leave the barrel fouled when using BH209. I have also found that if you do much shooting (at least with my rifle) you need to clean the breechplug or you will risk hangfires. I soak the breech plug after every range session. Drill out the carbon from the nipple end, relube the plug and reinstall. Before loading up for range/hunting, I then pop 2 - 3 primers to dry out the breech plug. Works for me.

Thank you all very much for helping out a newbie!

Thank you all for your advice.

I tried leaving the bore fouled after my very first trip to the range. After four days in this Alabama Gulf Coast salt air and humidity, I could see a thin brown film at the muzzle. It may have been only oxidation of the fouling, but it may have been rust, too! Either way, it was enough to scare me away from trying that again!!!

When I cleaned the bore with Hoppe's, as suggested, I didn't oil the bore before storing in the safe. No red or brown film.

I guess I'll try the alcohol patch route.

Thank you all very much for helping out a newbie!

I get all kinds of wierd "formations" from BH209.. Both rust colored and sometimes a white film.. I freaked the first time it happened but now realize it is not rust.. just some form of decay of the byproduct of burnt powder.

My gun dosen't change POI enough from a clean bore,to fouled bore to make much diffrence (maybe 1/2 inch at 100yds). But when I zeroed the gun in,I scrubbed the snot out of it between shots,this may have helped,I'm not sure though. My first shot(clean bore),and the rest are allways in the same group. Ron

BH

I cleaned the barel after shooting 30 rounds, leaving it dirty for 2 weeks and hunting then shooting the hunting load out. 6 patches Hopes 9, 3 dry, 2 alcohol, 1 shot (me) and then 1 dry both sides. 1 rem oil both sides. I am very happy and the costs does not bother me, i'll keep getting it.

John S said:
As I do with my Savage, I'll fire a group at the range to get the barrel properly fouled and then leave it until I'm done hunting. As an experiment I left the Encore barrel fouled this way with BH209 for 3 weeks and there was zero corrosion...good enough for me.

i did the same with my triump and got a rusted barrel. i won't do that again.

Latest posts

Back