BH209 vs Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right guys...This is sort of getting redundant and borderline personal. I believe that your points have been made and any further clarification is not necessary.

Please let's return to the regular scheduled programming. Thanks

All right guys...This is sort of getting redundant and borderline personal. I believe that your points have been made and any further clarification is not necessary.

THANK YOU! Smyrnagc!!! that needed to be several post back.

And Bronco, I agree with most everything you have posted. You posted your feelings and thoughts! No where did you indicate, as I remember, that your thoughts were Gospel!

I'm still going to do the testing as I said I would. Going to shoot two 5 shot groups each of both 80 gr and 100 gr Volume (but weighed) of T7, BH209, Pyrodex RS, and Alliant Black MZ.
Projectile will be a 300 gr Hornady XTP with a Black CR sabot. Rifle my 700ML, Fed 209A primer.
I plan on shooting the 80 gr charge then the 100 gr charge and remove and clean the BP prior to changing powders. Bore will be swabbed after each shot with a dampened patch of 50/50 Windex and alcohol followed by a dry patch. Will allow 10 min to cool between each group.
All shot will be run through my chronograph and each shot recorded and later a SD will be calculated.
My only decision will be should I shoot at 50 or 100 yards.????????????
That's going to be a lot of shooting so I may have to do in in 2 days with similar weather conditions. I can't even get someone else to shoot as that would make the accuracy variable void.
I may have to pull out the Limbsaver slip on recoil pad!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Deal! I'll post my test results and let all these members review them and decide for themselves.
A healthy debate is sometimes good for the soul.
God bless everyone.

Almost like the old days before BH.

Absolutely. The 777 has replaced Blackhorn for most of my shooting. 777 sends the bullet to the paper just like Blackhorn does.

The only times my rifle is loaded with Blackhorn is when hunting or when trying to catch a bullet. These past years have seen about twelve pounds of 777 burned, and less than one pound of Blackhorn.

What I found most interesting is the velocity differences. With a 100 gr charge BH209 has a velocity of 1796 fps where T7 produced 1883 fps (this is an average of 5 shots). However with a 120 gr charge the speed difference is reversed with BH209 having 2036 fps while T7 producing 1913 fps! (again average of 5 shots.
I'm just surmising that the faster speed at the heavier charge is caused by the chemical composition and burning characteristics differences of the two powders.
Great Info! Experimentation is one of the things I love about Muzzleloaders. It's also part of my personality. I do the same with my Metal Detectors and Mining Equipment. Much comparisons!

Is it possible that with the higher powder charges the reversal could be caused by the Law of Diminishing Returns?

Thanks!

Walt

OK administrator I think we've just about beat this thread to death. I guess it would be OK to put it in the "not open for further replies" category.
I'll start a new thread similar to this once I get all my testing done with 4 of the subs I have. That way all the cards will be on the table and members can make their own conclusions.

I personally could never go back to Triple 7 or Pyrodex after using BH209. It has little to do with velocity.

1. I like that I don't have to swab between shots with BH209.
2. I like that I can clean it with oil-based solvents -- not water/water-based solvents.
3. I like that it is far more forgiving in the corrosion category.
4. It has better shelf life (less prone to absorb moisture out of the air).

For these reasons alone it is worth the cost to me. If 777 were far more accurate/consistent, then I would have to rethink my position.
I thought the same once upon a time, but now that ive started shooting smokeless i may shoot T7 again in some of my older guns that cant shoot bh209. I would shoot real black but cant find any, same with the Shooters World sub.
I can afford bh209 but i just dont feel like paying that much for it.

I thought the same once upon a time, but now that ive started shooting smokeless i may shoot T7 again in some of my older guns that cant shoot bh209. I would shoot real black but cant find any, same with the Shooters World sub.
I can afford bh209 but i just dont feel like paying that much for it.
Graf and Sons have both in stock. They will ship to your door. Their hazmat and shipping costs are pretty reasonable, imo. I order from them as I can't get locally.

Latest posts

Back