BH209 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis299

Reaction score
Is there any technical reason that BH209 cannot be offered in pellet form?

I am NOT interested in reasons why some folks don't like/use pellets just looking for technical reasons for BH209. Thanks

Besides making it even harder to ignite, incomplete combustion and giving more inconsistent velocities?

Travis299 said:
Is there any technical reason that BH209 cannot be offered in pellet form?

I am NOT interested in reasons why some folks don't like/use pellets just looking for technical reasons for BH209. Thanks

It has a nitro cellulous component. They will not offer it in pellets.

Re: BH209

It already is in pellet form. Look at it under magnification. It just takes a whole lot more than 2 or 3. :D

Busta said:
It already is in pellet form. Look at it under magnification. It just takes a whole lot more than 2 or 3. :D

LOL...How many pellets equals a 100 grain load Busta?

You will have to contact the manufacturer, to get the answer. Everyone here will only give you their idea.

Its an extruded powder with very uniform grain size. each grain is a small tube, similar to a anelli, or ditalini type pasta, but smaller

No. There are currently no plans to offer Blackhorn 209 in pellet form. Charge tubes specifically designed for Blackhorn are available that can be pre-loaded by the user and are more convenient than using pellets. Using charge tubes allows you to fine tune your load to what performs best with your rifle, bullet/sabot combination.

I would imagine it is the same reason why you wont find any smokeless reloading powder in pellet form either. You cant fine tune and the nitrate ester base of BH209 powder.

Another reason might be that IMR/Hodgdon have a patent on round pellets. In the past they sued another company for making a round pellet and won. All other current pellets are either square of they paid IMR/Hodgdon for the rights to offer a round pellet. The new BlueMZ is just a rebranded WhiteHot. The patent# and the the MSDS clearly shows this to be true.

U.S.Pat. Nos 5,726,378
U.S. Pat. Nos 7,344,610
U.S. Pat. Nos 7,914,633

All these come back as:

Inventors G. Dean Barrett, John A. Conkling
Original Assignee Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.

Busta said:

:lol: I had to laugh for a minute over the response, you are SPOT ON. The problem with the BIG PELLET CRAZ is you can't fine tune your load for accuracy. :yeah:

The answer is because it is a progressive burning powder. Size and shape including that pin hole down the middle of the grain are what controls the speed at which it burns. Made into pellets it might be suitable for a 12 inch navel gun.

Back