Big bore Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Big bore Mountain Rifle

Got it in today! A fellow off facebook contacted me about redoing the stock on his cva big bore mountain rifle ( .54cal ) flintlock. I got it in today and after taking the lock apart and cleaning/buffling off the light layer of rust, I got her working like a charm. Excellent spark to, just bright white sparks in the pan. I'll have to file off a couple threads on the rear lock screw so it doesnt jam up the hammer, but that's a few minutes of work.

Going into the trigger next for cleaning and inspection.

It has a nice maple stock on it and should look really good after I am done with it.

The trim and barrel and chrome black, so that is something I am not going to touch unless told otherwise :lol!:
100_2496.jpg

100_2501.jpg

100_2499.jpg

100_2505.jpg

100_2506.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2489.jpg

Re: Big bore Mountain Rifle

Bedded the tang and the rear section of the barrel today. Just letting it set up over night then break it loose in the morning.
100_2493.jpg

100_2529.jpg

But before the bedding, I had to true up the fore arm and the stock with the planer.
100_2517.jpg

100_2509.jpg

100_2518.jpg

100_2525.jpg

A long day of sanding, but everything is coming out smooth and crisp where it needs to be. A lot more work to do, especially with having to rasp down major wood build up where they cut the cheek piece, but that is ok. It will slowly come together for a beautiful look.

Sadly there is zero curl in the maple stock :( I may add a faux tiger stripe onto it, but very very lightly. It does has some pretty figure and I want to bring that natural stuff out in the end.
100_2514.jpg

100_2513.jpg

100_2512.jpg

100_2511.jpg

Love the old CVA Mountain rifles wish they still made them . I have 2 a 50 and a 58 both percussion would love to locate a flint .

Following along. Interested to see treatment of back of lock inlet( or lack of).
 I've got a traditions mountain rifle(not the newer one,but the A&H style) that looks hogged out like that one.

Spent a little time on the ol MR today. Made a great amount of progress but will need to rest up. Arms are very achy and weak after today.
100_2611.jpg

100_2612.jpg

100_2613.jpg

100_2614.jpg

1 coat birchwood casey walnut stain and then 3 coats of dark brown leather stain which is basically an alcohol stain. In this pic, I had not applied any of the birchwood casey genuine oil yet. I got one coat on it now and its going to be a looker!

Because the maple is so hard, I only took it up to 600 grit rather than 2000 grit. I wet the stock and dried it between sanding. 120-150-220-400 and 600. Its as smooth as glass. Anything finer would have been overkill!
100_2615.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fNJbc3FP2e8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Jeebers. You did a fabulous job mate!

:hats off:

You did a VERY Nice Job on that Rifle Jon! You do AWESOME Work with these Old Guns :Red tup:

Back