Black Ice OR Nitrate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a black iced 410 white s91 and the only place it has faded is in the breech area.An added bonus is you can glass bed your barrel with out it welding together.

fishhawk2700 said:
sbuff said:
My white thunderbolt in SS is black iced and there is no sign of wear ,flaking or chipping. The action was noticeably smoother after being iced. I am 100% satisfied, if NYS wasn't such a pain in shipping guns I'd get my X7 black iced .
Steve

You can send it out to Black Ice Coatings in Utah. That's the company that did the black ice the White Blacktails, and many other Whites. I spoke with them today , and prices were very reasonable

I know, that's why I did my white thunderbolt :D

wildcat2 said:
I am doing a build and would like opinions on choice of barrel and parts coating. I am afraid of a home bluein job might not turn out for me. This will be a 45 Rigby I am doing. Also the man I talked to at black Ice said they have done the complete lock pats also,is this ok.

Rigby!
I would color case hardened the lock, hammer, breech (& tang, if a hook breech).
Rust blue the barrel although I could see Black Ice or Nitrate on the bbl if you have to...ha
Certainly don't put anything inside the bore - until you're sure it will not shoot, due to that reason.

Thanks 52 for your imput,very well trusted. Do you have a brand of rust blue to recommend and also case harding. This is what I will do.Also can you give me a good sight to start out with. I see some are up there in the dollars. . Gee I have been looking for a bullet mould to get once I find the ones that work but they are all on backorder. I will slug the barrel when it gets here. Yes I was very leary of putting any thing in the barrel. Thanks for your help. Hope to work my way to Tennessee.

Doug Turnbull would be first choice as they can do both Color Case and rust bluing.
The best colors come from the traditional way of bone packed color case hardening. I've done it once, years ago on a set of hammers I made, but it's just easier to let someone do it who does it for a living....
Same with rust bluing.
Classic Guns is another
Wyoming Armory, another (under new ownership - I've heard good things so far.)

52bore Thanks for the recommendations .I Juse talked to Dennis at Turnbull and got a great turnaround time even with doing the rust blueing also. Once I get the build done I will disassemble and take them to him,only about 2hrs from me. I want this build to look great.Now I would like your recommendation of a soul sight and front sight. THANKS.

Latest posts

Back