Blackhorn 209 by weight is not measuring up to volume line

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done the experiment that would prove this one way or the other?

Pretty simple really:

Get 3 lots of BH 209 that differ noticeably in volume to weight per lot.

Fire 3 shots from each bottle at 100 grV and compare the velocities. If they are essentially the same, you can stop there. Volume rules.

If the velocities are different, then you take 70 gr by weight of each powder and shoot 3 times with each. If weight rules, these velocities should be essentially equal.

I will be on the volume rules side of this until that is proven wrong.
Here's some information that might help in understanding some of the inconsistencies in BH.
Sorry no data specific to volume only, but the first chart shows you average weight by volume.

1712572574432.jpeg

1712572619778.jpeg

Here's another issue that has to be taken into account, velocity differences with the EXACT amount of propellant, but with different loading forces.........

If you've been following any of GaSmokey's posts, you'll recognize more about loading forces and how it can affect velocities/groups.

NOTICE............. how with identical weight bullets and identical weight charges, the difference in velocities between the two different bullets themselves.

1712572794101.jpeg

This information and much of the BS in this thread really doesn't matter much to the hunter shooting out to 100yds and only looking for "minute of deer". Load by volume or by weight and won't matter much. You should easily get "minute of deer".

However............ if anyone is determined to get every possible advantage available for accuracy, especially beyond "minute of deer", then this information can be useful.

Here's some information that might help in understanding some of the inconsistencies in BH.
Sorry no data specific to volume only, but the first chart shows you average weight by volume.

View attachment 43261

View attachment 43262

Here's another issue that has to be taken into account, velocity differences with the EXACT amount of propellant, but with different loading forces.........

If you've been following any of GaSmokey's posts, you'll recognize more about loading forces and how it can affect velocities/groups.

NOTICE............. how with identical weight bullets and identical weight charges, the difference in velocities between the two different bullets themselves.

View attachment 43263

This information and much of the BS in this thread really doesn't matter much to the hunter shooting out to 100yds and only looking for "minute of deer". Load by volume or by weight and won't matter much. You should easily get "minute of deer".

However............ if anyone is determined to get every possible advantage available for accuracy, especially beyond "minute of deer", then this information can be useful.
Do you really think one or two data points is statistically valid?!

Do you really think one or two data points is statistically valid?!
Well........... why don't you get up off yourself and do a test? Pretty simple isn't it? That way you'll know for sure and it'll make you an expert on BH.
You've already been proved wrong about volume and weight, so try the testing yourself.
Prove my data wrong......................... SMH

You've already been proved wrong about volume and weight, so try the testing yourself.
Really?

Been a few years since I had any statistics courses, but, it would take significantly more data to say anything conclusively. Try 10-30 shot strings (data sets) with each variable and get back with us.

Really?

Been a few years since I had any statistics courses, but, it would take significantly more data to say anything conclusively. Try 10-30 shot strings (data sets) with each variable and get back with us.
Yes, really.

Still can't face it can you? You and your desk jockey boy are totally wrong, and you still can't admit it after Hodgdon proves it themselves on their web page. SMH

As I said.............. prove my data wrong. Think of how great that would make you feel!

Get up off yourself and do the testing yourself if you need 30 shot strings. ITS THAT EASY!

When you're finished, you'll end up with the same results, but with less propellant and bullets. You could start and finish up today. Everyone will be waiting to see your 30 shot string data. It'll be the first data you've ever posted since joining the site.

Yes, really.

Still can't face it can you? You and your desk jockey boy are totally wrong, and you still can't admit it after Hodgdon proves it themselves on their web page. SMH

As I said.............. prove my data wrong. Think of how great that would make you feel!

Get up off yourself and do the testing yourself if you need 30 shot strings. ITS THAT EASY!

When you're finished, you'll end up with the same results, but with less propellant and bullets. You could start and finish up today. Everyone will be waiting to see your 30 shot string data. It'll be the first data you've ever posted since joining the site.
No need to be nasty. I’m just pointing out the obvious - that conclusions based on small data sets are not necessarily true.

Well...I believe this post has run it's course so I am going to lock it. Actually, this is the second topic on this same subject that has had to be locked in the last six months due to personal comments being fired back and forth and arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back