BLACKHORN 209 questions,...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefo1

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be giving some BH209 a try after everything I've heard. I may have missed a few threads, so I apologize if I'm asking some of the same ole questions.
First of all,...I've done all my rifle reloading for years & was wondering if my RCBS uniflow & 5-0-5 scale will work for this powder type. (I've yet to lay eyes on the BH209) if not..how do the majority weigh their loads.
Second question,...on average for easy math,.how many shots will the 10 ounce bottle supply using 90-100gr charges per shot.
Thanks for your comments & happy holidays!!!

I sent Western powder a question about using standard bench measures (mine is a Lyman 55) and they said they did the same thing - no problems. I haven't tried it yet, but should meter about the same as any tube grain powder - certainly not as smoothly as a ball powder.

A 100gr volume load weighs 71grains or so. You should get 61 shots at that charge weight.

Yeah, BH209 meters about the same as other short extruded powders like H4831 SC. I use my Lyman 1200 DPS III and it works very nicely. It's fast, easy, and super accurate.

I talked to Western when it first came out ,they said that they considered all the powder measures use for smokeless powder to be safe with it.
I have been using my Redding with out any problem since.
This does not mean that any one should use a powder measure for black powder that is dangerous.
Lee

I use alot of Varget & AA4350 for the rifle stuff,....kinda meters like Uncle Ben's rice,..can't imagine BH209 being any tougher. Now gathering up 50+ speed loader tubes for the range is gonna be the fun part... :D

kelleyga said:
I sent Western powder a question about using standard bench measures (mine is a Lyman 55) and they said they did the same thing - no problems. I haven't tried it yet, but should meter about the same as any tube grain powder - certainly not as smoothly as a ball powder.

A 100gr volume load weighs 71grains or so. You should get 61 shots at that charge weight.

When I go to Blackhorns website & use their load data sheet,..they specify the powder charge as "volumteric units" so when they say 80,..you should measure 53.3grs on the scale?

jefo1 said:
kelleyga said:

When I go to Blackhorns website & use their load data sheet,..they specify the powder charge as "volumteric units" so when they say 80,..you should measure 53.3grs on the scale?

Yes--my understanding of BH209's website is that they are talking about measuring BH209 by VOLUME.

jefo1 said:
I use alot of Varget & AA4350 for the rifle stuff,....kinda meters like Uncle Ben's rice,..can't imagine BH209 being any tougher. Now gathering up 50+ speed loader tubes for the range is gonna be the fun part... :D

make a big order from Lane. his loaders are easy to load and easy to pour

Back