Blackhorn in a Black Diamond ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotecallr

Reaction score
Can anyone advise if my T/C Black Diamond will shoot Blackhorn 209 accurately ? It shoot Triple 7 very accurately but I hate the dirty propellant. Thanks

If you are using No 11 caps, or even musket caps, ignition will likely be a problem. I'm not speaking from experience. Just from reading other people's experience.

I was wondering the same thing, I have a new KRB that will likely be shooting 777 out of it, but I also have a T/C Black Diamond XR. The Black Diamond is a accurate shooter just like the KRB, but I am also wondering how BH209 will shoot out of it? Anyone?

I asked this same question about a month ago (May 9th). I spoke with Blackhorn and TC about shooting bh209 in my BD. They both did not have an answer for me other than to try it out. I am up here in the north woods of Wisconsin and search all over the northwoods to find bh209, with no success. My local gun dealer is going to order a case in July.

What is real, real nice is that Blackhorn asked me for a list of dealers that I would like to have carry bh209 and they contacted the dealer. That is service.

PLEASE keep us updated. I have two BD and they shoot excellent with 777, which give me no desires to go out to buy new muzzeleloader. I think that this bh209 can give new and better life to an old design, only if it shoots as good as you all say its been doing.

It would be nice if TC or some third party would design and sell a new enclosed 209 primer holder for the BD, if that is all it requires to shoot BH209.

I have a Black Diamond XR and while it is a great shooter, I have searched every where but down town Duluth/Superior for the Blackhorn 209 with no luck.

Rhinelander, keep me posted when that store gets a case of it in... I have a couple rifles I would like to try it out in.

:D

Dave/Rhinelander -

Dave I know it's not close to you, and Rhinelander is not much better - but Sportsmans Warehouse out of Greenbay is stocking BH209 currently for around 30$ a bottle. I talked with the dept head over there and he said the hardest part is keeping it in stock, but they usually try to get in at least a few cases - I know the locals are walking out the door with as much as is on the shelf.

Roadtrip? :D

I might have to get some and just hope it works. I have a Black Diamond XR, and a Knight Disc. One of them rifles it should work in it. I was with the understanding that it did not like open breech rifles, but I am wondering more if it is not related to the shape of the breech plug.

Perhaps someone who shoots BH209 can post a picture of a breech plug that works best with that powder.

cayuga

Dave the White Breech Plug - shot it just fine once I got a tight enough sabot.... Had to use a HPH-24 with a 300 grain - .458 bullet. Everything worked OK at 60 & 80 grains but at a 100 grains it pushed the primer back out of the BP. The hammer pinned the battery cup cock-eyed against the BP, but the primer it self was gone - either blown up or out of the battery cup and the anvil was laying on the floor of the reciever.

Still thinking - Western might be right suggesting a "closed breech plug" system. Most guns with the exposed ignition and falling hammer system MIGHT be a problem unless you shoot light loads...

Since BH-209 is a progressive powder it burns longer and holds peak pressure longer than T7 or BP - even though the pressure is lower than T7.

I think Calvin from Rising Sun, MD reported here that he got good results from a Black Diamond XR .45 with BH 209.

My only local source wants $50 a can for BH 209, so I have not tried it yet in my XR .45.

Well that is insane to pay that kind of money. I'd shoot Goex before I would ever pay that for a can of the BH209. I shoot a lot of Goex.

The BD will indeed shoot BH.

Still working on the magic load, but preliminary tests (roughly a dozen shots) have all gone off instantaneously.

Back