Blew up my bow....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
I have enjoyed a Martin Razor X from 2005 until yesterday.  It has taken a lot of game and is forgiving, accurate and quiet. Yesterday I pulled back and the cables snapped and rendered the bow temporarily useless. Ironically, I took the bow to a local shop last year and seeking new strings and cables and was told they were fine. This year I took it to another shop and was told the same thing. So much for that!

I cannot spend $1000 on a bow. I need something maybe 60 pounds, RH and I prefer shorter and light. I will re-use my sights, drop-away rest, wrist sling, peep, and stabilizer if I need to.

Any recommendations on a bow you love that is maybe $500 or less, or an older or discontinued model that may be priced lower than the new flagship?

Thanks

oh wow, that sucks!

Have you looked at PSE? They make a good product for less $$. May be a little heavier than other models, but for the price...

real bummer, i usually get about 10 years out of one. Lotta good manufacturers out there. Maybe a used bow a couple years old, some guys cant resist buying one every year or 2. Might consider a bear or diamond good bows. Good luck and let us know how you do.

I'm looking at a Bow Tech Fuel, Prime Defy and a Diamond (not sure of model).  I have some interest in a Martin Revolution but I can't find info on it or one in the flesh.  It's on Martin's site and the rep said it is close in brace height and draw cycle to my old bow.  Doesn't help if they're not available.  I will report back as I sort through this. Thanks for the help!

I have just what you are looking for, an old and discontinued bow. One of the first Allen Compounds made. :lol: It is a good conversation starter and hangs on the wall next to my 1960 era Herter's bows.

I may be a little late but be careful of bowtech and diamond (A sister company of bowtech). They have been known to have limb problems. 

I recommend the mission ballistic by mathews. Great shooting bow and can be bought new for around $500.

I would have to have new cables and strings made and the cost is around $165. The shop work is around $65. For that much I would still have a long, heavy, slow, old bow. It worked fine until it went but for a few more dollars I can have a smaller, lighter bow which is more suitable to my aging body. A little more speed doesn't hurt but wasn't necessary.

I went to the local (and only) shop nearby. I found a brand new Martin Rev.  The owner said he ordered 3 to become a dealer but 8 arrived. He priced them at cost to move them. I put some accessories on it from the old bow and purchased a few others, so he made some money from me. The bow has a good guarantee and the owner of the shop added his own "trouble free guaranty".  Right at $500 out the door for a 2019 bow ready to go the way I wanted it is not too bad.

Get them unstrung after season is over, if you don't shoot year round.I had two diamonds,one split limb diamond both good bows. Plenty of wax on strings will help. Laney

Latest posts

Back