Martin REV bow review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
I was looking for info on the Martin REV bows and could not find any on the internet so I decided I would post one to help others that may be considering this bow. Some background: I had a Martin Razor X from 2004 - present. This year when I pulled it back the strings and cables all blew. I originally went to the local archery shop to seek new cables and a string. The shop owner could not find exactly what I needed and said it would likely require making a new set. He pointed out that some new manufacturing and technology in new bows makes them smaller, faster and quieter. I looked at Mission, Matthews, PSE and Bow Tech new bow as well as some used bows. There was nothing wrong with these bows but I wanted one that just felt right.

The shop owner suggested looking at Martin since I had enjoyed the one I had. He has the Max 31, 32 and 33 and the FURY and REV. I liked these too. I went over my list of preferences, compared to the Razor X that I had. Shorter axle to axle, forgiving brace height, quiet, adjustability and a little more speed never hurt. The shop owner told me he ordered 3 REV bows from Martin but received 8 of them. He was willing to sell the REV to me at his cost to move them and so others could see them in use. We agreed that if I did not love it after shooting, I would have no obligation and could choose something else. I had him set one up the way I wanted it. QAD Ultra rest, Meta peep, D-loop, recycled Tru-Glo Sight, Carbon SX Stabilizer, braided wrist sling. I still like my Wynn Archery release. At first, the bow adjustment was a little confusing. There are numbers on one side of the cam from 4-14 and on the other side 20-30. A call to Martin was placed and we received a prompt call back with instructions. The 20-30 on the cam is the draw length. On the opposite side, the stops correspond to the draw length with 14 being 30". So, since I need a 28" DL, we set 28" on one side of the cams and 12 on the other side (14=30, 13=29, 12=28 etc...). You do not need a bow press for these adjustments.

With this set we put some Blazers on 400 spine Gold Tips cut to 28.5" and 100 grain tips. Set the DW to 52#. I began to sight-in. First, and most pronounced impression is that there is no hand-shock or movement when the bow fires. Every other bow I tried including my Razor X either jumped forward a bit or the top fell forward after the shot (or both). The REV literally sits still. It is a light bow in the first place at 3.6# and fairly short at 31" axle to axle. I still cannot get over how I am still looking at the sight pin after the arrow has left the bow.

Next, I noticed it is very dead in the hand once it fires. The bow does not try to twist, there is no vibration and everything seems to return to stillness immediately. This bow is quiet. Shooting on the indoor range it was not the quietest bow of those I tried but it was noticeably quieter than 7 or 8 out of the 10 other bows I tried. At 20 yards I quickly learned not to shoot the same spot twice or I would tear up my new arrows. The REV is easily as accurate as the Razor X with me as the shooter. I like the 7.5" brace height that mimics that on the Razor X.

The Razor X set at 58# and with the same exact arrows shot 228 FPS over the chronograph. The REV set at 52# with the same arrows shot 251 FPS. This correlates to the listed IBO of 285 for the Razor X and 310 for the REV.

Overall, I am very happy with this REV bow. It is lighter, quieter, faster and easier to adjust than the Razor X and most of the other bows I tried. When Martin introduced this bow about a year ago the MSRP was $350 but I noticed last month they changed that to $450. I think this is quite a bargain for this much bow! I like the idea that I can adjust the DL and DW without a press if I give this bow to my sons or wife to use or decide to pass it on later.

I will be at the ATA Show and I will be checking in with Martin to see what they have going on!

Martin-REV-2.png

Nice review Sparkitoff.   I like the no bow-press needed feature.

Have you shot the bow with a quiver mounted with arrows :?:

Yes, no issues with noise or vibration. I have a 4-arrow quiver that works well.

Back