Blowing UP the barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russell shaffer

Reaction score
On another forum there was a huge discussion about blowing down the barrel after the shot.  A really big discussion - 9 pages and it got somewhat heated.  I bought some aquarium tube from Walmart that is a nice fit on the nipple.  After every shot I put the tube on the nipple and blow and watch the smoke come out the muzzle.  If I can't blow through it then out comes the nipple pick.  Nice and safe, the muzzle stays pointed down range, and I don't put the barrel in my mouth.  I haven't had a misfire in a while but there have been several times that I couldn't blow through before picking.  OK, now next time out I'll probably dry ball twice and misfire even more.  But , so far, so good. I've even been doing it on my 1858 Remington replica. Just an idea.  It works on a woods walk, too.  I carry a foot of tubing in my bag.

Thats a good way to. Some use a snug fitting tube and place it down the bore a bit and then blow down the bore.

Either way works and is safe and shouldn't get you in trouble on the range or at rendezvous.

I simply run a damp patch on a jag down the barrel between shots. Nipple or vent, smoke comes out and I feel safe dumping another charge down the barrel.

what was the main complaint about this. sounds like you got a good method going, what could anyone possibly say to stir up something. just wondering. some people are just born troublemakers.

Since I don't go to commercial ranges, I just blow down the barrel.

I see the reasoning behind the safety angle but I carry enough crap with me when shooting. I don't want to lug any more things to drop on the ground.

The complaint was about putting the barrel in your mouth.  I personally don't care - it is just easier for me to use the tube and not turn the rifle around.  It also blows fouling away from the nipple instead of into it.

after gun has been fired what exactly is going to hurt you if you blow down the barrel with your mouth, you haven't put any powder in yet and its pretty hard to not have complete ignition of the powder you just fired.. unless you use the barrel like a Bong and suck on it cant see how your going to hurt yourself.

Commercial range=  control direction of muzzle   i.e .point down range......

blow down barrel= your moisture softens fouling and ''supposed to '' kill any remaining burning powder''.     

each to his own..........
 I personally run a borebrush down  after shooting......then every 3 -4 shots, its a moose milk patch and then dry patch.........            
it works  for me in my  rifles.

Latest posts

Back