Boat tail Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Precision Rifle has boat tail bullets with the highest Baliistic Coeficient of any ML bullets.

I need to get some of those Harvestor boattail sabots to try with the PR 300gr Dead Centers!!

a few of the barnes offerings are too.

They have boat tailed sabots included as needed.

oops sorry

fisher2072

Precision Rifle has boat tail bullets with the highest Baliistic Coeficient of any ML bullets.

Be careful here... Cecil has always inflated his BC's a bit... + you have to make some allowances with an all lead bullet. Normally an all lead bullet and a jacketed bullet of equal wieght do not perform even close to the same. Lead will blow up with velocity - Jackets hold it together better most often.

I have shot cecils bullets with good results. I have used the 240gr dead centers with 110gr vol Black Mag 3 @ 2140fps. They perform well on deer, however I would not push them any faster. I feel that this is as fast as an all lead bullet should be pushed. I'm certain that his BC's are a little inflated, but they are still flatter shooting than anything else I have shot. I stepped up to the 300gr Dead Centers to lower velocity in case of a point blank range shot, however I haven't found a sabot that gets the accuracy with this bullet that I would like. I'll be doing some testing with different sabots and the 300gr this year!!

Buffalo Bullets was ahead of their time. Seems they are no longer making anything - does anyone know otherwise?

taylorhaught said:
Fisher, have you tried the precisions? how do they perform on game deer or elk

Okay, maybe I am not Fisher..but I have smacked a few animals with the PR bullets. Not the DEAD CENTER mind you, but with the Extreme Elites. They are basically Dead Centers without the tip (hollow point). a 360 gr Elite ahead of 120 grains of Pyrodex. Kicked like a mule, but everything I connected with was a bang flop.

I'm not big on the boattail. Infact, when I'm shoot'n me some Barnes and my accuracy isn't what I hope for...the first thing I blame is the boattail. Deserving or not...I have to come up with something.

hakx,
I guess you had complete pass thoughs with the Elites. That's been my experience with what I've shot and a cousin that uses them to! We haven't had anything run more than 40yds after a good placed shot!

fisher2072 said:
hakx,
I guess you had complete pass thoughs with the Elites. That's been my experience with what I've shot and a cousin that uses them to! We haven't had anything run more than 40yds after a good placed shot!

Only two were pass thru's,. All the rest were under the skin on the opposite side.

Latest posts

Back