Book: The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

Reaction score
This book is, in my opinion, the most authoritative ever written on the subject. The author, Ned Roberts (think .257 Roberts), as born in 1866 and died in 1948, and his lifetime encompassed the highest development of the art. He knew many of the great rifle-makers personally. I bought a hard copy off Ebay, and it can be found online at:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951000799864f;view=1up;seq=9

For the people who think the best rifles are being made today I offer this illustration from this book:

upload_2019-2-19_2-8-12.png

You are correct, one of best books written on muzzle loading. Yes they are great rifles and all were custom bench rifles made to shoot 220 yards , with slugs. They are still being shot at Friendship today. Try buying one of these for 300

You are correct, one of best books written on muzzle loading. Yes they are great rifles and all were custom bench rifles made to shoot 220 yards , with slugs. They are still being shot at Friendship today. Try buying one of these for 300
While many of the meets were shot at 40 rods (220 yards) Roberts writes about meets shot at 100 rods (550 yards) and more.

I have a 2nd edition copy signed by Ned.

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_163646_kindlephoto-45984921.jpg
    IMG_20190219_163646_kindlephoto-45984921.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 10
I've had a copy of that book for more than 40 years, it's always a great read and has a lot of info in it. Thanks for the reminder, I need to dig thru my bookcase and go thru it again.

Found a Stackpole copy on Amazon after reading some from the Babel link; thanks, Danny Ross. After I read it, it'll go on the top shelf next to Jack O'Connor's "The Rifle Book."

you read the book and realize nothing is being used or done that hasn't already been done 100 years

Back