Brass screen sabot experiment coming along nicely.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDrummer

Reaction score
I have wanted to try to become completly independent obtaining shooting materials for my CVA. The powerbelt bullets are too expensive for casual plinking, and I would like to see how long of a shot and at what moa I can squeeze out of my 45 cal mag BP rifle.

There are a few basic problems that I am encountering. Bullets are hard to get, and too expensive. Primers are also getting harder to get. And if i want to use sabots, they are also getting harder to find. This is similar to what I am experiencing for my .458 socom, 223/5.56 and my 7.62x54r tack driver.

I decided to tackle the sabot problem first, as there is no way to build a mold if you do not know the final dia of your bullet.

I created a punch and die set that forms .010 brass screen into a sabot for my 45 cal bullets. I also built a mini indoor (in my shop) range with a 1/4 in SS plate bullet catcher.

I started testing with just a primer and was able to launch a 53 gn AL .430 dia bullet modified to use the belt from a CVA PowerBelt bullet. I was not able to clear the barrel with an identical weight bullet using a brass screen sabot. I did not clean after shooting the belted, so working with very low velocity allows small changes to be identified easily. Based on this and needing to keep velocity down to just beyond enough to clear the muzzle, I cleaned after each subsequent test.

After testing each bullet a few times with no identifiable reason for one or the other not clearing the barrel, I added .1 gn bp. At .1 gn there was still no consistency about clearing the barrel. At .2 gn either sabot will clear the barrel every test.

It was evident at .2 gn that the powerbelt was building up more pressure than the brass screen sabot. But it is encouraging that the brass screen shows clear rifle marks pretty much identical to the powerbelt. The marks were all even indicating that the brass is carrying the bullet down the barrel evenly. I suspect that the combination will be very accurate. What i need is a small plastic cup which will form an expandable skirt. It is possible that the skirt of the powerbelt collects the powder at the breech and forms a small cartridge while the screen keeps the powder distributed.

I am counting on the property of a gas to act like a liquid as concerns the screen. The mesh is very fine, and the more pressure, the better it will seal. So now that i have my bullet size, on to build a mold on the lathe. I have some bronze rod which should be perfect. For the cavity.

I set up the chrony but it never gave me a speed of either bullet. Possibly flourescent light problems, even though I mounted an incandescent over the chrony.

Pictured below is the AL bullet in the foreground, with some of the unused formed sabots, left rear. The powerbelts are on the right front, with the used screen sabots at right rear.
2013-02-16%252017.07.32.jpg

Are you at all concerned about abrasive effects on the bore? I would be. Why not use paper?

Why are sabots hard to find. There are at least two manufacturers who sell direct at reasonable prices.

I like your thinking and experimentation. Just curious about this sabot question.

guitarpicva said:
Why are sabots hard to find. There are at least two manufacturers who sell direct at reasonable prices.

I like your thinking and experimentation. Just curious about this sabot question.

All sabots I can find are $8/50 which is .16 ea. And while there seems to be plenty of 50 cal, there are not near as many 45 cal.

I am trying for independence, so buying sabots is not independent. I usually shop at midwayusa, cheaperthandirt, berrys bullets or our local shooting center, but all of these sources are out of everything I use.

Large pistol primers, none. Large rifle primers, none. .312 bullets, .24 ea. IMR 4198, none. H4895, none Berrys bullets is not taking orders for the next 2-4 months.

So until I can get more loading supplies, I will shoot the muzzleloader, but I am not paying $20 for 15 PowerBelt bullets. And the triple 7 pellets, dang!

I made good progress on the bullet mold. Ready to grind the tool, and then turn the cavity. Just have to be patient and cut slow.

The bronze mold cavity with alignment pins installed, trued on the lathe. Still have to make a ring to use with the steady rest.
2013-02-18%252017.19.55.jpg

I was in the same boat so to speak. My favorite bullet was discontinued. So I went to work trying to find something to use. I finally decided on a Paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet. They shoot great in my guns. But I am still at the mercy of the companies that make powder, caps and paper. All though I am set probably for life on my paper. I am not that lucky with caps and powder. Ron

idahoron said:
I am not that lucky with caps and powder. Ron

That is exactly the problem. Not just with the muzzmeloader, but all of my rifles. At least I should be able to become retail independent with the ML.

I define independence as not having to purchase anything that is regulated or can be associated with firearms.

Learning to make BP, cast bullets and sabots. The last project will be electronic ignition. There is a utube on how to build the igniter.

idahoron said:
I am not that lucky with caps and powder. Ron

That is exactly the problem. Not just with the muzzmeloader, but all of my rifles. At least I should be able to become retail independent with the ML.

I define independence as not having to purchase anything that is regulated or can be associated with firearms.

Learning to make BP, cast bullets and sabots. The last project will be electronic ignition. There is a utube on how to build the igniter.

The last project will be electronic ignition.

Depending on the state you live in that could already be illegal for hunting.

Interesting post though. What material do you plan to mold your final sabots from?

Latest posts

Back