Breech plug cleaning/solvent

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strutter

Reaction score
Hey folks, what do you find to be a good breech plug cleaning solvent? Should I be looking at soaking the breech plug overnight to ensure it's cleanliness? After I clean and re-install it, should I put some anti-sieze on the threads?

Thanks,

Strutter

What powder are you using? Blackhorn is very clean.T7/pryodex you can use just plane jane windex to clean.It works great.I like to apply a little oil on the threads when putting the plug back in.

I try to stay away from solvents in the breech plug. Find the appropriate drill bit to clean out the flash channel and the appropriate size welder torch tip cleaner to clean the flash hole. I quit using BP grease on the threads, I now wrap them with plumbers tape. After wrapping work the tape into the threads with your fingers prior to reinstalling. It is alot cleaner and the plug comes right out without any seizure.

I did the plumbers tape also on my last trip and liked much better than the CVA anti-seize stick.

I'm a little late on the reply here but thanks. Yes, I am using Blackhorn Powder. I used the Hopps #9 on the bore and it cleaned up real well. So, Windex for the breech plug? I'll give it a go next time out,

THanks,

Strutter

With B209 I just use Hoppes #9. I also have Q-tips,pipe cleaners, a welding tip cleaner & a few other things on the bench. I use a gun cleaning tooth brush on the threads. So just give it a good going over. For any storage time I leave a light coat of oil. If shooting soon I make sure the channel & face are dry. The threads are lubed/greased when it goes back in the gun. I have 'gorilla grease' & choke tube/breech plug grease. The teflon tape is also another popular method.

Strutter said:
I'm a little late on the reply here but thanks. Yes, I am using Blackhorn Powder. I used the Hopps #9 on the bore and it cleaned up real well. So, Windex for the breech plug? I'll give it a go next time out,

THanks,

Strutter

No windex if you are using BH 209 use Hoppes #9

Strutter

I will add my thoughts, but it has already been covered... Windex works great with BP and all the subs but BH. It will phyiscally clean the plug but it will do nothing for the carbon fouling in the 'flash channel' under the primer.

smyers717 suggestion of a drill bit turned by hand is the way to go. You will have to find the bit that best fits your channel. I put a stick handle on the end of my bit so I can grip and turn it better.

IMG_0314.jpg

Just my thoughts... I would only use the tip cleaners in the 'flash hole' of the breech plug only when you absolutely need to. They (tip cleaners) are much harder than most factory breech plugs and could cause you to prematurely widen the hole without even knowing it. I do not find that the 'flash hole' plugs or fills very often but the channel will. After you clean and clear the breech plug just hold it up to the lght you will be able to see if you need to do anything to the hole.

Which rifle/breech plug are you shooting? I think you might find that a 1/8" drill bit will fit most plugs other than CVA's which use a very narrow 3mm channel. In a CVA you might need to use a 7/64" bit.

I long ago quit using grease on the BP or the threads - I use Teflon tape all the time now to install the plug. Just make sure the plug is dry and free of any water deposits - if you use Hoppe's or any other quality gun cleaning solution you will not have to worry about the water part.

I use a 1/8" bit on my TC PH's breech plug. I also cleaned the exterior primer soot from it with Hoppes. Will the Hoppes damage the o-rings? Good idea of putting the handle on the bit and I will do the same on mine. will make it easier keeping track of the drill bit too.

What about those cans of pressurized air for cleaning out the hole in the breech plug??

I've just been using solvent and Q tips and a tooth brush to clean the plug of my TC PH but gonna try the windex. Shooting T7.

Spin a 1/8th drill bit by hand in the Pro Hunter breech plug. If you cannot get a 1/8th bit to start easy use a smaller one and work up to the 1/8th bit. Compressed air and windex will not get the primer carbon buildup out of the flash channel. Windex would be good for pouring in the flash channel prior to using the bit. If you have never cleaned it out with a bit it will be hard at first but if you keep up with it after every range session it will be easier to clean and you will have more reliable ignition for whatever powder you choose to use.

Latest posts

Back