Breech plug tightness

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
Im shooting an Encore .50 and wondered how tight the breech plug should be. I have snugged them down in the past and after a session with t7 they are a bit tight. Lately I just screw it in until it stops and as of yet I havent had a problem...am I asking for trouble or is this acceptable?

flati

Here is what I do....

BreechPlugSealing.jpg

works very well for a lot of us. The tape shown in the illustration is pink, but you might need to use White - the differences are they have different thicknesses. You will have the find the one that threads into barrel the best.

Use this on your breech plug

http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/A ... /77124.pdf

Permatex? Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant

Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400?F (1316?C). Copper-free, use under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys.

and tighten it as tight as you want.

One can will last you the rest of your life.

Your breech plug pressure will be determined by the powder you use. 777, Pyrodex, Goex, you just snug the plug, and back off and re-tighten after three or four shots. Stuck breech plugs are no fun.

If you use Blackhorn209 the plug needs to be tightened pretty tight. No reason to check after shots like the other powders. BH209 is great to use all around actually. :)

Sabotloader & Underclocked:

Excellent graphics on that breechplug teflon wrap...
Thanks for sharing it! :)

flati

Might check this thread out on another site....

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 472.0.html

When I am shooting I do not turn the BP loose as that will possibly destroy the seal between the end of the BP and the flange in the barrel. The tape is easy to tear...

Here are some other pics that might help...

This is composite of my Remington BP

BreechPlug.jpg

Here is what I call a correctly wrapped BP..

IMG_0028.jpg

I am shooting T7 and I do not use any grease because it is messy other do...

tape

I wrapped mine wrong that's for sure. I used it for the first time this year. I will re-wrap. Second I got the yellow teflon tape as it was a little thicker. Used for gas lines. Is that okay or should i get the pink or white?

I snug mine with the ratchet a little past finger tight but not much.
I will tighten a little more now sinse I'm using BH 209

Bucker

I have the yellow tape but have never been able to use it. It is to thick.

How you will know is when you thread the bp back into the barrel it should go very smoothly and evenly. If it get caught or is real tight the tape is to thick.

Clean the BP threads and the barrel threads. Install the BP bare - it should turn in very easily - when you put the tape on it shoud turn in almost as easily - right to the point where it stops.

I use white tape on the Knight Disc and Pink on the Remingtons and the White.

When you get done shine a light down the muzzle and you should see the tape all the way around the bottom of the barrel.

Latest posts

Back