Breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn. archer

Reaction score
Does anyone use the standard breech plug that comes with the optima v2 with blackhorn 209? I've had no problem with triple 7 ffg . Was wanting to try the blackhorn

I just went ahead and purchased the BH209 breechplug when I bought my V2. That was what they recommended and also several members here. Never had a problem.

There is a good chance it will work just fine...until you have a large 8 point buck in your sights and it's really cold out, then it will fail...that's what happened to me...then I researched it when I got home and found out a loose powder plug was available...no problems since.

I've been ordering from them. You can get some stuff cheaper from them thru ebay. I ordered the breechplug about 15 minutes ago

I love to make my own stuff whenever possible so I took my CVA blackhorn plug and D&T'd it to take ventliners like the Lehigh plug. I had to buy the correct reamer for it so the ventliner would seat properly. (86 degree iirc) Works as well as the Lehigh plug. I may take a shot at converting the original plug, too.

I tried the standard breech plug and had some it issues with misfires. That day was cold and damp.
Then I purchased the upgraded plug BH209 for the V2 and also drilled out the plug on my Optima Pro.
You could always try the standard plug then adjust as needed.

BH 209 is by far much better than pelletized powder for me. It makes up for the difference in price if that is an issue,

I tried the standard breech plug and had some it issues with misfires. That day was cold and damp.
Then I purchased the upgraded plug BH209 for the V2 and also drilled out the plug on my Optima Pro.
You could always try the standard plug then adjust as needed.

BH 209 is by far much better than pelletized powder for me. It makes up for the difference in price if that is an issue,

YES! I believe BH is far better than better than any of the pellets and the price of each works out very close - Go BH.

Back