Broke in the new accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Duster

Reaction score
Granddaughter called on Sunday morning wanting a deer for the freezer. Told he I would see what I could do about it. Old dry doe came in with 2 others and only 2 left. Buddy says I done killed a member of the grandma club. More fat on a deer then I had ever seen anyplace even way up north. After getting her worked up we ended up with one brown large size grocery bag full is it, the rest was pure fat. At least 3/4 inch under the skin along the rib cage, base of tail had a 4 inch thick layer each side. Not to mention quite a bit I removed when field dressing her. We had a major acorn crop this year and deer didn't have to look far for food. 50 yard shot, 40 yard recovery. Darn those 2 Pyro pellets (100 grains) and that 250 grain Barnes expander did it again. Still got a few days of season left to try and get that buck, but with the temp supposed to be 17 deg the next couple mornings and thunderstorms on Saturday all day it will be a wait and see deal. Old and major blood thinners don't help with cold weather. As they say tho, they will be bigger next year... :lol: And I got some good ones running around still.

Congrats, always nice to help the family out. Is the fat a sign of cold winter to come?

Congratulations on your hunt. And those MZ Expanders do work for sure. There's a great deal in the classifieds if you like the 300's to.

Way to go!! I killed three mature does this year, two I know were corn fed, the other one probably was too as big corn fields are just across the road from where she was taken. I prefer the does to bucks as far as table fare too!!

Congrats! That's going to be a good eater for sure. My daughter's buck taken in Sept. had the most fat I've seen on a deer, I said while cleaning it 'it's gonna be a cold winter!' it's 3*F out right now :D

Our group took 3 does and 5 bucks this year during the Colorado late plains season the does all had minimal fat as in very little the bucks all had absolutely zero fat none at all! Im afraid our deer may not fare as well as that plumper would have. Poor feed due to drought and a late and strung out rut may have set them up for a bleak winter.

Congrads on the Doe!

In Se Ohio they did not have the best Acorn crop like some others have seen but I did get one large older Doe and she had a great layer of fat that was a bit more than I usually see. Not sure where she had been getting the good feed at.

Latest posts

Back