Browning Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Confederate Rifleman here has one, or he had one? At one time I wanted one, But i wasn’t willing to pay what they ask for them. They are neat looking Rifles :lewis: I like the Built in Rams Horn/Curl on the Bolster/Snail, kind of a neat touch

Yup, had one. Fine rifle, the single set trigger was great! A high quality rifle to be sure.
However. It liked to bite off the bench and it weighed a ton compared to my TC Hawken.
If you're on horse, as the original mountain men were, the Browning is fine. Certainly more period/ historically correct than the TC.
If, however, you like to spook around on your own 2 legs, the TC won't wear you out. It'll also handle a wider variety of loads.

I have one of the iron mounted rifles in .50 caliber. As stated above, it is somewhat heavy. I had mine bored out to .58 making the gun easier to handle when still hunting. I too like the single set trigger. My only concern is that parts for this gun are hard to find should something break.

I had never seen one until I saw this post. That is a classy looking rifle.

I always like those rifles because of the single trigger. I know the ol double set is period correct and have advantages. But for hunting application/situations with my sausage fingers the single trigger is nice. Plus the Rams horn is a very nice detail.

Latest posts

Back