Bullet Drop

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to be shooting the powerbelt ELR 330 gr bullet with 90grW of BH209 from my CVA Optima this year. I thought I’d set up targets at 50 yards, 150yards & 250 yards. I’m doubt I’d have the confidence in a clean kill to take a 250 yard shot, but I’m wondering if any of you all shoot with similar loads and what kind of bullet drop I might expect at 250?

Thanks!

Most of the deer I shot are at 30 yards or less but the long rifles are still sighted for 100 and I do shoot each different gun, sans the Optima pistol, out to about 175yards as that's where the 300 yard target path at the club I shoot at begins to go up a slight hill. My .50 cal Accura sees about 9" to 10" of drop using a 250 grain bullets at the 175 yard mark with a 77 weighed grain charge [110 grains by volume] of BH. At 90 grains weighed but with the 330 grain bullet I think you'd be close to what I get at 175 but will drop more at 250. 20" maybe.

The best way to confirm is to walk a target to the 250 yard mark and shoot three just to see for certain. If you're going to hunt this load you'll definitely want to confirm where you're hitting. Don't guesstimate it on a live animal.

MrTom is right. Practice the distances you may hunt.

There's a few things to learn about shooting, drops, etc., and in the end you should learn to use a ballistics program, such as JBM. JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
You need to know your velocity and the bullet you're shooting ballistic coefficient (BC). That is the primary information you'll need for any ballistic program.
Just guessing your velocity at 2100fps. It may be 50fps too fast, but its close. The BC for the bullet is .333

Here's a chart that can....................... only help. It's NOT cut in stone. You have to shoot the ranges and confirm.

1692732543656.png

MrTom is right. Practice the distances you may hunt.

There's a few things to learn about shooting, drops, etc., and in the end you should learn to use a ballistics program, such as JBM. JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
You need to know your velocity and the bullet you're shooting ballistic coefficient (BC). That is the primary information you'll need for any ballistic program.
Just guessing your velocity at 2100fps. It may be 50fps too fast, but its close. The BC for the bullet is .333

Here's a chart that can....................... only help. It's NOT cut in stone. You have to shoot the ranges and confirm.

View attachment 36894
Where could I figure a dope chart like this for my SML. I know I’m shooting a load that’s supposed to give me around 2850 fps with a 300 Pittman. I’d just like to have a idea for a place to start when I take her to the range.

Latest posts

Back