Calf at early down...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
Hello from Hungary,

I was kill a Red Deer Calf last saturday. I'm very happy now, because last year I killed only one little Roedeer! I hope to fold up my bad luck!
I went a short hunting trip to my hunting ground last weekend. Roedeer buck season started at this time, and I went out to observe our bucks. I left the hunting lodge at 5:00am and I walked out to a grassy hollow near the hunting lodge. Bucks are likes this place and I was hoping to get a good one.
Because there was a slightly dark for stalking, I was climbing up a stand, and was waiting for the daybreak. At 5:30 I spot a buck coming in from the forest. I tryed to value his antler but there was twilight I can't saw this in my binoculars. After ten minutes my buck began to worry about something, and he was run away. Roedeer is a great "indicator" on the field, they can hear like a good dog and runs away when big boys are comes.
After one minute I saw a bunch of Red Deer comes from the same direction as my Roe Deer was. I selected the smallest one and shouldered my Tracker 209. When they stopped for an instant about 80yds, I pulled the trigger! BANG! Deers are shoot off, along with my calf. But I saw my one is run slower then the others! He was run about 40yds, and dropped! He was a small bodied yaerling bull calf, weight about 140 lbs.
Here in Hungary the Red Deer Calf season is from 1st of september to last day of february. Because on my hunting ground - and on this part of the country - the we've got a lot of Red Deer, we get every year a special permission to hunt yearlings throughout the year because they make a terrible agricultural damage.
I was shooting my "light load" from my Ardesa Tracker 209, 100gr Swiss FFFG blak powder, 250gr TC Shockwave in the yellow sabot. The bullet hit his lungs and the top of his heart with complete pass trough. There was a lot of blood in the chest cavity.

100_0894.jpg

Congratulations on a great hunting trip. That looks like a lot of good meat there to eat. That dog sure looks interested in that calf as well. Nice looking dog.

That rifle sure did the trick it sounds like. And the load you described would be a perfect hunting load. Lots of powder and a good bullet. So thanks for sharing the story and the picture. I really enjoyed reading it.

springer

Congrats!!! thanks for posting... but that leads me to a question????

How popular is Muzzleloader hunting Europe? or even just in your area?

Hi sabotloader,

Muzzleloader hunting is not so popular here, I know a few German hunter, and a few Hungarian hunter, who hunt with ML rifles.
There isn't dedicated seasons for bowhunters, MLhunters, etc.
Muzzleloader Associations - In Germany the SPI, here in Hungary the MEFLSZ - promote our passion. I think we are in good train, but muzzleloading itself is a very young sport here.

springer said:
Hi sabotloader,

Muzzleloader hunting is not so popular here, I know a few German hunter, and a few Hungarian hunter, who hunt with ML rifles.
There isn't dedicated seasons for bowhunters, MLhunters, etc.
Muzzleloader Associations - In Germany the SPI, here in Hungary the MEFLSZ - promote our passion. I think we are in good train, but muzzleloading itself is a very young sport here.

Thank you for the information...

Nice shot on the buck! I enjoyed your story too! Maybe you could post some pictures of the area you hunt in.

Unfortunately I haven't a lot of pictures, but I will post some soon. (I'm working now, and pics are on my computer at home)

:yeah: :yeah:
Congrats :!: :!: :!: Great story also. How about some pics :?:

Ray.......... :wink:

Great job! It's nice to hear about hunting & shooting from places around the world.

Back