Opening Weekend Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
Had a good for me opening weekend as a fairly new hunter. First buck I've taken ever and it was with the muzzy at the 125yrd range. Those new barnes did well. Passed through after making a mess inside. After the smoke cleared he was running right at me. He stopped right under my stand and took his last breath. The doe was taken with the 220 slug gun with barnes slugs which happens to be the same projectile used in the muzzy. That one got both lungs and half the heart. She still ran a good ways. Tough girl.

Passed on an ugly 8pt on day 1 morning about 45 minutes into the season. Don't know if I just couldn't believe my luck or didn't want it to be that easy. I let him walk after having crossbars on him and hammer back. Of course the guys at camp were furious with me, probably never live that down. But had my best hunt ever this weekend watching the bucks run the does. Saw so many deer this weekend. Turkeys foraging under my stand. Great weekend. 20231118_173402.jpgIMG_20231117_193354.jpg

Had a good for me opening weekend as a fairly new hunter. First buck I've taken ever and it was with the muzzy at the 125yrd range. Those new barnes did well. Passed through after making a mess inside. After the smoke cleared he was running right at me. He stopped right under my stand and took his last breath. The doe was taken with the 220 slug gun with barnes slugs which happens to be the same projectile used in the muzzy. That one got both lungs and half the heart. She still ran a good ways. Tough girl.

Passed on an ugly 8pt on day 1 morning about 45 minutes into the season. Don't know if I just couldn't believe my luck or didn't want it to be that easy. I let him walk after having crossbars on him and hammer back. Of course the guys at camp were furious with me, probably never live that down. But had my best hunt ever this weekend watching the bucks run the does. Saw so many deer this weekend. Turkeys foraging under my stand. Great weekend. View attachment 38915View attachment 38916

Job well done. Congrats on the double. Lots of good eating laying there in the pictures.

Passed on an ugly 8pt on day 1 morning about 45 minutes into the season. Don't know if I just couldn't believe my luck or didn't want it to be that easy. I let him walk after having crossbars on him and hammer back. Of course the guys at camp were furious with me, probably never live that down. But had my best hunt ever this weekend watching the bucks run the does. Saw so many deer this weekend. Turkeys foraging under my stand. Great weekend. View attachment 38915View attachment 38916
Nice story, congrats on a successful hunt.

Well done!! Even with straight wall cartridges being permissible in IL now, my inline ML is infinitely more accurate at longer ranges.
I trust my muzzy more then I do my beloved tried and true 220 slug gun, The gun I've out shot the other hunters in my group with straight walls. And once I get some more range time to dial in a better load up and sabot combo the lethality level will only go up. The more I shoot it the more I love shooting it. Most don't get it. They just see only one shot with too much work.

congratulations you’re on your way. As soon as I read “you will always remember your first one” the image of my first deer I got played in my mind. It stays with you.

Latest posts

Back