Can a "Commercial" Muzzle loader Maker Build an "Attractive" Rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
Can a "Commercial" Muzzle loader Maker Build an "Attractive" Rifle?

Please notice that I didn't say a historically accurate rifle, but an "attractive" rifle.
I have put up some photos of this rifle before, but have taken some new pictures of it.
It is a Thompson Center Cougar in 50 cal. It was sitting in a corner of a pawn shop, pretty but forlorn. No one had shown any interest in it, so the pawn shop was willing to deal to get it off their hands.

Some cleaning, a little protectant on the metal parts, a check and some oil in the bore, a touch of Renaissance Wax, and voila (walla? viola? oila?) there stood a very nice rifle.
thomps10.jpg

thomps11.jpg

thomps12.jpg

thomps13.jpg

thomps14.jpg

I would have preferred a normal patch box to the silly cougar emblem, but I am pleased with the rifle anyway.
Ron

Re: Can a "Commercial" Muzzle loader Maker Build an "Attractive" Rifle?

Nice wood Ron, leave as is, shoot and enjoy your find.  :Red tup:

Ron, you could always order a patch box from the Hawken shop...... :D

K24QQE.jpg

Changing the patch box would be a mistake Ron, leave as is. I have modified rifles over the years and when you decide to sell them that modification is always questioned and sometimes lowers the value to a collector.

I wouldn't want to modify it in any fashion. I can live with the medallion, even if it is a little hokey.
Ron

That's my favorite Groucho Marx quote.

-Joe

You did a nice job cleaning her up Ron.The wood is looking real good.I wouldn't do anything but shoot it and ejoy it.The madallion looks good to me.

That rifle is beautiful; you must have seen what was possible when you bought it.  IMHO the old H&A Minuteman rifles were very attractive.  I owned a flint version eons ago when I was young and just out of the Army.  Let me see if I have a pic to post;  Be right back.....................

The pic on the left is an old one of my favorite deer rifle (TVM late Lancaster .45) and a combo 60 yd target a friend and shot at alternately.  The one on the right is a much, much younger me with the Minuteman.
PICT0521.jpg

Hanshi said:
............ The pic on the left is an old one of my favorite deer rifle (TVM late Lancaster .45) and a combo 60 yd target a friend and shot at alternately.  The one on the right is a much, much younger me with the Minuteman.
Damn you must have had a hard life Hanshi, when we look at the before and after photos. Then look at your photo on the left (one hell of a sun tan)???  :scratch:

Here's my most recent photo.

vweohs72tl737l.jpg

Yep, hard life, but I survived somehow.  The really hard part has been the last 11 years or so.  My lean, hard, 132 lb body started betraying me and now I am the wreck that stands before you.  Raven black hair is now silver.  One of the meds I have to take has made most of my hair fall out.  My last living aunt has to take a lower dose of the same med and her hair is falling out.  It's a cancer drug but is usually prescribed for ra.  I do start on biologics in a few days; I'd love to ditch the methotrexate but they might not let me.

Ron that has come up ver nicely.  I refinished two Parker Hale Navy rifles, one I did when I was  in my late teens, and had it chequered at both the wrist and forend also barrel bedded and a fly in the lock. It still serves me well.That is the rifle you can see me holding in the avatar.
       I bough a Uberti '73 Winchester carbine once just because I wanted to remove the plastic finish on the beautiful wood work, that also came up well. 
      I love oil finishes, and on factory rifles like yours just seem to soften them, both the feel and the look. I can see why you bought it 

Cheers 

Gordon

Shoot a rabbit target Ron .....  :oops:

Back