Can someone in Cedar Rapids loan me $300?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This gun in (northwest) Cedar Rapids Iowa wants me to buy it. Its very lonely and wants to join my nonsmoking, covid-19 free, .45 ML family. The current owner doesnt ship and I can't convince my wife that i need to go to Iowa for something that I cant tell her about, but isnt a gift for her. If you can help me give this sweet lil guy a forever home i will be in your debt. btw, he doesnt seem to know that its an Omega.

https://www.armslist.com/posts/1215...zle-loaders-for-sale--thompson-center--45-cal
(Or someone round there should just buy it so i dont have to look at it anymore since i cant really afford it)

IF (and that is a big if) the barrel is clean, that's a great deal. From what I've seen, if they have rust on the outside, its usually worse on the inside. Either way with the 3200 its a pretty good buy even if its not perfect.

Michigan....you'd have to drive either thru or around Chicago to get there and that's sort of a bad spot lately. Lots of bullets flying it seems.

I had a 1:20 encore at one time, turned it back to TC for a 1:28 barrel. Could not get either to shoot well, most likely because of the QLA! I believe the omega barrels were the same.
Back then nobody was cutting off the QLA never thought of that...

I had a 1:20 encore at one time, turned it back to TC for a 1:28 barrel. Could not get either to shoot well, most likely because of the QLA! I believe the omega barrels were the same.
Back then nobody was cutting off the QLA never thought of that...
The big problem was sabot technology. The compounds they were using for sabots wouldn't hold up to a fast twist barrel. Not many guys were sizing back then and no where near as many bullet choices.

I bought the 45 Omega as soon as they first available and made the assumption that it had a 1:20 twist because I had heard that's what the Black Diamonds had. My original intent was to mimic the 45-70 by sizing a Lyman 457193 down to .450 backed by 70 grains of 777 which turned out to give me lousy results. Back then I had no idea there was a issue with QLA and blamed my problems on the 1:28 twist so I decided to speed the bullet up by increasing the charge 10 grains to a time and found by best accuracy using 100 grains of 777 giving me consistent 2" groups at 125 yards. Yes this load kicked like a mule but I was a lot younger then and shot several deer with it most of which were in the 100 - 150 yard range. Had I known about off centered QLA issues I may have shorted the barrel like other have done and perhaps still own the Omega.

Sorry to hear about the predicament with the gun purchase. It can be tough convincing the spouse sometimes, huh? As much as I'd love to help you out with a loan, I don't have the means at the moment. But hey, I wanted to share that I came acrosswhile browsing the web. They specialize in loans and mortgages, so they might be able to assist you. By the way, I'm new to this forum, so nice to meet you all! Hope everything works out for you and your new firearm buddy. Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions or need recommendations.
Spammer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back