Can't Stand Stands!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any encounters with bears while in a pop up blind and if so how close did they get. :D

The lastest trend is elevating a wood enclosed blind, commercial made lind or even a pop up blind these days. A outdoor show here had a host shooting a bow out of one with a pop up blind on top of a platform. I would be concern about tipping over the pop up when leaning up against it with more than two poeple in one having not sides to support the blind.

I have been thinking of buying a commercial made blind that can be elevated. It is made of 1/8 aluminum roof, sides, windows and door. they state it is bug and rodent proof and will last at least 20 years. They have two types of windows that open a bow type and a rifle type the bow type is tall slot the rifle is wide and not much more than 8 inches if that tall. being elevated the deer seem not to be able to catch sight of you even if all tyhen windows are open and not block off by a curtain that they might see movement from the light on the other side...

As for heaters there is one out there that has an oxygen sensor it it that shuts off if it does not have enough oxygen and also if it is tipped it shuts off. There is two sizes and one has a fan to push the heat around the smaller is nice when hooked to a 20 lbs tank.

It is all just personal prefernce I guess... Seem the older one gets the more comforts one is after...

LFM

Ron

My wife hunts out of a blind , has been for 3 yrs now and has killed deer faster than me.
I went out to set her blind up this year about 4 days before our opener after setting it up I went on down to check on my tree stand wasn't gone 10 min , as I was coming back out there not 20 ft. from the blind stood a big DOE looking at me wasn't paying any attention to the blind at all.
Opening Morning she Smoked a nice 2 yr old doe out of that blind .
Makes me think harder about setting 20' in a tree stand on a cold day!!!! Hmmmm

Ron G.

LFM,your right! My "old bones" don't take the cold,or dampness like they once did! :) Some guy's around here are building elevated platforms,and putting the popup blinds on top of the floor. Most are around 12 feet high. They have eye bolts in the corners of the platforms,and tie the popups down to them. Seems to work well. I use a Coleman Black Cat heater in my blind. It's made for tent camping,dosen't cost very much,and really warms up your feet,and hands. The fumes,(hardly any) vent out of the top of the blind (it has a rain fly and a mesh top). it is almost silent,and has never spooked any deer. I looks like rain is in the forcast for the second season,so the blind will be a easy choice. I can set in it all day in the rain and stay dry,and comfortable. If I was hunting on public land I would tie a cheap blaze orange vest to the top of it though, for saftey.Ron

Ron,
Tried the pop-up, can't say I'm in love with it. Can't even say that I liked it but I can see where it has it's place. I will try it again as the weather turns for the worse during the ML and antlerless seasons in December. It may come in handy. Still prefering my trees though. :lol:

I understand where your comming from. Not one system works well under all conditions. The one's that really hurt my feelings are, the guy's that shoot the monster of the woods,sitting on a 5 gal. lard bucket! :lol: Leaning against a tree! Ron

Ron S: Sometimes luck is better than being good. It just is not as regular.

Ron,
Tried the blind again now that it's cold out. Walked out with my coat in my pack and never put it on even though it was only 18 degrees out and snowing. I had a t shirt, thermal and thermal lined sweatshirt, jeans and my Carhart bibs on. Stayed out of the snow and wind and was comfortable all morning. If I had brought my heater I could have spent the weekend. :lol:
Got a doe too, she never knew what hit her. :wink:
Could be a convert to the blind hunting in the cold weather.

Blind

I've used the pop up spring types for years, nice to open PAIN to close. I got that chair blind this year. It is 11 pounds,water resistant and comfortable/ Rained like blazes opening day I stayed mostly dry which kept me in the woods vs. others who got wet. I also am not much of a sitter, have happy feet this blind allows me to move around but still concelaed.
1. Keeps elements off
2/ light andportable
3. 180 degree view
4. X-bow, gun only not good for compounds etc.
5. Where black inside the blind,where black baclava . Your blind is camo outside not inside.
6. keep still, it is a little better thn being in the open but all those windows they can make out your siloette(sp).
7. Always put a Flouresent banner or cloth on your blind.
We have built elevated wood stands w/ roofs , windows etc/ Call them condo;s, First couple days deer are fine, late in season they start looking at the pemanent stands, that is when we are off some in ladders or other blinds and can ambush deer. Hunt Safe

One of my blinds has been set up in the same spot for about 6 weeks. I'll go get it some of these days. :D

But they're arn't many places I would leave one out like that, especially not with two chairs and a monopod inside.

I wonder if it's still out there. :lol:

I've used tree stands for years and had very good results. Spring of this year I tried a ground blind for the first time and shot a nice turkey. This deer season I shot a doe just sitting on my camo chair.

I think whatever works for you is best.

Happy hunting. :)

I love them... my Dubble Bull Matrix is an awesome blind. I'm scared to leave it up for long because it cost me so much, but those Ameristep Doghouse blinds can be had for about fifty bucks and I'll leave those up all season.

Ron,
I have used pop up blinds now and again and had mixed results. My main problem is that to keep the inside of the blind dark, I most often only open one window. This limits your field of view. I have had a number of times when deer came in from unexpected directions and ended up within ten yards of the blind before I realized that they were there. Most often when that happens the doe sees the dark window and tries to figure out why there is such a dark hole in their world. Most often I end up busted with my gun or bow laying accross my lap.

I am learning more about the strengths and weaknesses of ground blinds. There are definitely differences between them and tree stands as to the kinds of places where you want to use them. If the deer might appear in any of 360 degrees from where I am set up I want to be in a tree stand.

Anybody got a HandiHut? I bought one last year at an Outdoor Show and am pleased with it so far; light & pretty portable. Just Google "HandiHut" to check it out.

Just to ease any worries about my blind... :D went and got it today. Still there, everything in it except some of the blind trash I had collected. Something ate most of that and I didn't think it was edible. :shock: The blind had obviously been in use - but not by a human. :lol:

Latest posts

Back