Case broke off

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Guys, shooting the 7.62x38 SKS yesterday, the gun jammed on me and I noticed that the case broke off and only left me with a short piece that fell out easily. The rest of it is still in the chamber. Any clue how to get it out? I tried using a pick but that did not work.

Try a tap that will fit inside the case. Just get the tap to bite so it won't slip and use a cleaning rod and tap it out from the muzzle end.

I have used the cleaning rod with a large brass brush to push them from the muzzle out into the breech end like spitfire said. I have never had to resort to a tap.

Never thought of using a bush ...will also work as it won't pass through the case neck.

"I have used the cleaning rod with a large brass brush to push them from the muzzle out into the breech end like spitfire said. I have never had to resort to a tap."

Works for me too.

I'll give it try tonight. I couldn't get the case out with a pick so we'll see if the brush does it.

If that doesn't work pack it up and send it my way ;)  .....can always use an ak type gun here for varmint control .

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
Guys, shooting the 7.62x38 SKS yesterday, the gun jammed on me and I noticed that the case broke off and only left me with a short piece that fell out easily. The rest of it is still in the chamber. Any clue how to get it out? I tried using a pick but that did not work.
All the SKSs and AKs I know of use 7.62x39 rounds. That is your problem. :twisted: 

You can find broken case extractor many places. From what I have heard, if you shoot mil surplus ammo, you should have one on hand and they are inexpensive. They are cheap enough a guy could afford one for every caliber they own. That reminds me, I should get some. :lol!: 

Here is one from Brownells 

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/stuck-case-removers/broken-shell-extractors-prod24626.aspx?avs|Caliber_1=AAL_7xzzx62x39%20(xzzx310)

l_100003126_1.jpg

Ordered a few of those little deals and they work great. Whats up with the cases breaking in half though? We've had to use it about 4 times now.

Geez - I thought the only rifle that had this "issue" was the old Remington 742 Auto BushMaster - otherwise affectionately know as the "JAMMASTER"!

As for that rifle itself, there really wasn't much of a "fix" for the issue, even though Remington admitted it was a BIG problem. They actually offered a trade-in for the 742, for their reworked 7400 - although the offer was quite one-sided - in their favor of course. :sleep: 

I had a gunsmith tell me he took a drill with some kind of sanding cylinder and honed out the bullet seat, as this area was swelling due to a heat issue and causing the casing to stick, which basically yanked off a small corner of the brass casing with the ejector.

For me, I used a set of dental picks (picked up from a local dentist office, which they throw away on occasion) to get out the casing in my old 742. After realizing this issue was NOT going to go away, I promptly sold it.

After re-reading this thread, I see where Jon never said how he got the broken case out.

Well, Jon?

I used the case puller. Steel cases but we've even had some brass that has done the same thing.

Latest posts

Back