Casting weather

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The warmer weather allows the doors to be opened, the pot is inline with the doors so there is a cross ventilation. The only time there any smoke is when fluxing the pot. I’m more concerned with handling the lead bullets, so hands are washed frequently. For piece of mind I will have a blood test for lead levels next checkup. Thank you for your concern.

WOW, how long did that take you? I don't know how long it will be before I can cast again. My daughter and her family sold their house and moved a lot of their stuff into my garage until they can find a house in Florida. Seems the houses are being sold within days with prices much higher than what they were posted for. So her family and stuff may be here for awhile. :(

All my smelting is done outside under a patio. If there’s not much wind, I’ll use a fan.

When casting, I do that indoors, inside my shop. Pot is by a window and a fan is behind me blowing out.

I powder coat my bullets, so I’m constantly wearing nitrile gloves.

WOW, how long did that take you? I don't know how long it will be before I can cast again. My daughter and her family sold their house and moved a lot of their stuff into my garage until they can find a house in Florida. Seems the houses are being sold within days with prices much higher than what they were posted for. So her family and stuff may be here for awhile. :(
Guessing it took a couple weeks to cast those, casting sessions about 2-3 hrs. per day. What was tiresome was pan lubing the 600, 38 cal bullets.

I'm getting a sore shoulder just looking at all the bullets. lol

Nice looking stuff HC.

From what I have read, most of the folks who have issues with lead levels are people who work at indoor gun ranges, or who shoot indoors or are around indoor ranges regularly. And the levels are increased due to fired primers.

From what I have read, most of the folks who have issues with lead levels are people who work at indoor gun ranges, or who shoot indoors or are around indoor ranges regularly. And the levels are increased due to fired primers.
From what I understand .22 rimfire is worst indoors.

I know that you do not sweep the floors of indoor ranges as this creates dust particles laced with lead into the air.. and that you mop these floors with soap and water..
Thats interesting. I haven't been to our clubs indoor range in a long time but i would almost swear that they have brooms, instead of squeegees to clean up the brass. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Pretty nice set-up. I was outside last night melting lead outside when it began to sprinkle rain. You could hear it go tisss tisss tisss as it hit the molten lead. I know water and molten lead is asking for severe burns but as long as its very light no big deal. The rookie mistake I made was when I went to pour into my molds. Those sprinkles had pooled. The first pour exploded as it hit the small pool of water in the mold sending molten lead all around. Luckily no harm done. My wife was out with me and I had explained earlier in the day about lead and water when I was washing some scrap with a garden hose. Now she has seen firsthand how stuff goes down. To me: "Here is your stupid sign".. heheheheheheheheh Good day all :)

Back