Center Fire Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jooger17

Reaction score
I loaded up the family on Sunday and made the 7 hour drive west to my buddy's family ranch in San Angelo, Tx. They own 2600ac and Bobby is really the only one that hunts it. That is fine and well except he wants to manage his place for higher quality deer. It is a VERY high deer density area and to manage for quality it is impossible for one man to do. That's where I came in.

I had very limited time to hunt. We both have very young families and he only has limited time at home away from working out of town. I certainly didn't want to over stay my welcome so the plan was to hunt Sunday evening through Tuesday morning.

I was really hoping to fill a couple of doe tags and that proved to be a challenge. There was always deer in the way, they wouldn't offer a good angle etc. I took it down to the wire. I'd seen some really nice deer, 2 that would get into the 130's but none that were 5 years old or older. I did manage to make a 220 yard shot on a big ~200lbs sow hog on Monday. That was much needed pork for smoked sausage coming up soon.
f042b38007efce0d3ad23889057be8f3.jpg

So Tuesday morning I was covered up in deer... And they were all bucks! The problem was, they were all 2 and 3 year old deer. All of the sudden a buck twice as big as anything in front of me stepped out of the draw but he had his head down and the grass is high. Away back, barrel chest, thick neck, tarsals stained black all the way to his feet. This deer was. Shooter regardless to what was on his head. Still I waited... And waited... And waited!

15min must have gone by. He'd pick his head up and by the time I got the binos on him, his head was back hidden behind the grass. FINALLY he let me get a look. Narrow rack, mediocre tines, good mass, and short beams. Not a monster by any standards, but was certainly a big mature buck. When managing for numbers it doesn't make sense to kill off your top tier bucks. This guy was exactly the kind of deer Bobby wanted shot. I felt like I should oblige.

Once I decided to go, I started focussing on shot placement. I clicked the safety off on my Browning A Bolt .280 and waited for the perfect broadside angle. When it came I put the crosshairs of the Swarovski Z3 just a touch back from the shoulder so I wouldn't destroy any meat. The hand loaded 140gr Sierra Boat Tail being pushed by 54.5gr of 4310 makes a pretty gnarly hole if it hits a serious bone. He stopped, I settled, and slowly squeezed the trigger.

BOOM!!! No reaction whatsoever that made me feel like I'd made a good shot. He didn't buckle, he didn't stumble, I didn't hear the report of the bullet smacking its target... Nothing. He just ran back the direction he came from. I sat probably another 30 min and decided to go take a look.
99bc6cfd958d99f69e3ed5059a7c7b0c.jpg

814fa0cab2a45e37a8f90b6c02af0e25.jpg

It looked like I was in the chips! I scanned ahead and didn't see anything that looked like a deer, so I pressed forward with the track. Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail and I never slowed below a steady walk. Just inside the brush about 40 yards I walked up on my deer.
06f0e5f8e26447fec5d374e7700ae90f.jpg

Another awesome weekend with friends and family, and some outstanding table fair headed back home with me. I'm East Tx through and through, but I sure do enjoy it when I make it out to the short tree country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great hunt, nice rifle too. I'd be stacking up those pigs as much as able, most landowners don't care for them.

Congrats on filling the freezer. Sure looks like a good buck to me and not a "management" buck.

03mossy said:
Congrats on filling the freezer. Sure looks like a good buck to me and not a "management" buck.

He wasn't a dink by any means, but there's some great deer around the Tom Green/ Schleicher Co line.
13cfff95239ac84839d71c039692f4e6.jpg

This was a "management" type deer I killed with my bow there last year.
7afc67653374155d86be3387757dcec5.jpg

I passed on this deer last year from the same stand I killed my buck on this year. He sure got the ticker ticking but I was holding out for one I felt would go 150" or better. I actually saw him on that same hunt but he got across the lane before I could shoot.

Congratulation on the deer and hog. Way to fill the freezer. My buddy hunts with a .280 and swears by it. His is an old Remington 700 BDL model and I seen him make some impressive shots with that rifle. I went for a 7mm mag instead. But that caliber he uses has always produced meat when called upon. Again great story and pictures.

cayuga said:
Congratulation on the deer and hog. Way to fill the freezer. My buddy hunts with a .280 and swears by it. His is an old Remington 700 BDL model and I seen him make some impressive shots with that rifle. I went for a 7mm mag instead. But that caliber he uses has always produced meat when called upon. Again great story and pictures.

I've got one of those too. I like the 7mm Mag, but this .280 is a stone killer! What I dislike about the 7mm Mag is I've shot several deer under 100yds with it and it always seems like they always run a LONG ways. May be a bullet issue there that I need to tinker with.

I've got one of those too. I like the 7mm Mag, but this .280 is a stone killer! What I dislike about the 7mm Mag is I've shot several deer under 100yds with it and it always seems like they always run a LONG ways. May be a bullet issue there that I need to tinker with.

My 7mm mag is a Ruger M77. I tried numerous different cartridges, even custom made. The best shooters in mine and they just flatten a deer from 30-450 yards were the Remington Core Lock. (Although I have not shot or hunted with the rifle now in over 25 years). It is a good flat shooter. But actually it was the reason I got into muzzle loading. I got bored shooting deer from a blind with it. So I wanted something that was more of a challenge. My friend was a black powder shooter. And he introduced me to a T/C Renegade. I never looked back.

Latest posts

Back