Centuries Off Topic: Vikings March in Florida

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
Vikings March in Florida
V7Ty18.jpg

Horses wonder if they are about to be conscripted

I offer this because I sense a kindred spirit and shared interest with the people here. These historical re-creationists are not that far removed from what we do at a Rendezvous. 

In fact, if you think of it as a Viking Rendezvous, you would have the feel of it. I found it very engaging and I bet you would have, too. They make their own clothes, weapons, tools, tents, etc. These are practical skills based on actual historical study and are not just games rooted in fantasy.
bn3zj7.jpg

Florida Breakfast

SIDE NOTE: I mentioned I was to attend a modern day Viking event in Florida hosted by the Swamp Vikings of the Jomsborg last weekend. I offered to do a write up if there was interest. Someone said, 'Yes.'
NP0Yo7.jpg

Traditional, hand stitched tents based on Norse burial finds

The majority of the clothes and weapons in the following photo are hand made by the people you see. They are iron smiths, silver smiths, wood carvers, leather workers, and weavers. These folks made the mead that was enjoyed in the evening and much of the food was traditional- gator not with standing.
u7ypUz.jpg

Jomsborg Viking groups from Texas, Florida, Massachusetts, Chile, Mexico, Canada, and others are represented above

Large portions of the day were dedicated to practicing group maneuvers recreated from history while other time was spent sharing information about the 'Hearth.' Anything built by hand in the traditional ways is considered a Hearth skill. I attended two lectures while there.
NS2eWa.jpg

The raised shields are not to ward off arrows, but to ward off Dane Axes like the one below...
pkFNsw.jpg

Training is full contact with blunted, but period accurate weapons

BmyWRc.jpg

Being a warrior in Viking times was an equal opportunity thing. If you are a WWE fan, you may recognize the fighter on the left

Occasionally, as in every full contact sport, injuries occur. There were two over this weekend. Field sutures were applied on site (see below). The interesting thing about this injury is that it was not caused by a mistaken blow. It was caused because the fighter failed to wear his protective glove and, as a result, cut his finger on a standing rivet.
EbDtKj.jpg

No, the medical treatment is not from the Viking period

I was impressed with them. Nothing was going to stand in the way of their fun. They weathered the frequent storms with jovial good humor and steady resolve while displaying a variety of skills. 

I will leave this here as I have no idea what may or may not interest you. Ask about what you are curious about. I will do my best to answer. 

I hope you have enjoyed this Norse diversion from the frontier.
u3376L.jpg

The shields are made with wood, glue, linen, steel/iron, paint, raw hide, and artificial sinew

Buck Conner said:
I don't see old KC anywhere ??? Did the WWE kid do you under KC !!!   :shock:
I was decked out as a Viking. I would have stood out if I hadn't. As I am but a 'recruit,' I used a bit of additional non-Viking safety equipment. Elbow pads, padded leather for my arms, mouth guard, a cup... I am pretty sure Vikings did not wear a cup. I also had knee pads on under the pants. I would have worn shin guards, too If I could have found some that fit.

Here's a picture. Don't laugh.
9Rs664.jpg

I was beat. Vikings work hard. As a recruit level participant, I was limited in what I was allowed to do. That linen tunic and pants were not too different from what I have worn to Rendezvous

And, to answer your question, Sarah of the Riot Squad can, and has, kicked my butt. She is fast, tireless, skilled, and sneaky. And, she happens to hail from Kentucky... a total bass-axx.

Bacon wrapped gator! Not sure how that tastes, but I sure would give it a try!

KC, that even looks like it was awful hot out! Very awesome pictures.

oneshot 1 said:
Ok being Christian not interested.

oneshot
OK... this surprises me as it seems wildly off target.

Being Christian is not a hinderance to this event or vice-versa. There is no conflict. We are dressed as Vikings, not converting religions. Religion was not discussed during my time there.

Shield construction, tunic patterns, research books, axe length, leather stitching, linen sources, lost wax casting, how to cook a pig... these kind of things were discussed.

Yes, lets not get into religion or politics. Way to many issues start with these topics. Lets stick to guns, fishing, boobs, gardening and why the hell is KC making out with that fish... :lol:

FrontierGander said:
Yes, lets not get into religion or politics. Way to many issues start with these topics. Lets stick to guns, fishing, boobs, gardening and why the hell is KC making out with that fish... :lol:
"The fastest way to get a fight started is mention religion, politics or sports." F.D. Roosevelt.

Regardless of the period Rendezvous, the folks that are participating get great satisfaction at re-creating a little piece of history.  Enjoying an outing with family and friends is always GOOD!  

Ok knowing what I know of Vikings they were very tuff and didn't care one bit about life. But who is to say our ancestors weren't much tougher than us? Come on fighting Savages with Smooth Bore Flintlock.

oneshot  

Smokin' Joe said:
Regardless of the period Rendezvous, the folks that are participating get great satisfaction at re-creating a little piece of history.  Enjoying an outing with family and friends is always GOOD!  
That is on the nose. 
Lg4nfB.jpg

The view from one of the Viking Tents

Family was welcome. There were some rowdy areas in the camp that may need to be chaperoned, but nothing an adult with sense could not handle. 

hYw40e.jpg

This little Viking was decked out in a little tunic, too.

Latest posts

Back