Changed my bullet choice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had originally planned on using Cheapshots this year. Then decided to try the 270 Deep Curl again. After shooting targets for the last two weeks, I started getting more consistent groups and confidence with them. Glad I did because.
Today is opening day of firearms season here in Illinois and this morning I was able to harvest a mature doe. Since I wasn't able to harvest anything last year I was itching to see how the 270 Deep Curl would perform for me. I would say I was pleased. 1 shot 1 kill.

Shot was at roughly 60-65 yrds.

Perfect broadside, and calm deer. (bean field)

Complete pass thru.

After the shot deer went approximately 40 yrds before going down.

I will say the shot was a little higher than where I usually like to hit them but still a good hit.

The higher hit resulted in basically no blood trail but when you can watch them go down and they only go around 40 yrds it's no big deal.

I do have 2 more permits so hopefully I'll get a couple more chances to try this bullet this year.

Sorry no pics. But I did find out that the 270 DC will fragment, as I found 1 piece of copper in the meat as I was cutting it up this morning. Of course this was found in the area of the shot placement and was thrown out anyway.

Sounds like it went just fine. Yes, even when I see the deer go down from a good hit I like to give them 20 minutes or so before walking up. With more tags I just sit & quietly reload. There have been a handful of injuries recently when hunters walked up on a ‘seemingly’ dead deer.

This past weekend in IL I took a Doe about 20 minutes after shooting a buck. That single shot doesn’t totally screw up a hunting area, moving, talking, & ‘high-5-ing’ does.

While I admit some bullets are better than others, accuracy in a particular rifle & shot placement are paramount.

Latest posts

Back