Changing things up... Red to Green

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Some of you know that I really like the Williams Fiber Optic front sights on my Western rifles...

Front-Sight-set-up.jpg

But... when shooting paper targets, clay pigeons, and even hunting I have found that the red fiber optic does not seem to offer the contrast on the target I would really like to see.

I am sure there are a ton of places that you can purchase these Fiber Optic Rods, but I stumbled on this site when searching.

http://www.10-8performance.com/fiber-optic-rod-060/

I ordered some of the Green rods to replace the red rods that I had. I was really surprised with the contrast difference the green rods provide versus the red rods. It certainly could be different for you! But, I have made a couple of range trips using the green rod and it really helps me.

Green-Rod.jpg

Green-Rod-0-060.jpg

Re: Changing things up...

Mike you are going to love that green front sight. Green is the first color to appear at dawn and last to disappear at dusk. I have green rear and front sight on my Lyman Deerstalker

The only time I hunted with fiber optics I hated it. My vision turns them into a big glowing red blob. After the first day, I painted the optic white. Much better.

How hard is it to remove the old, red rod? Press out or is there any adhesive to deal with?

JStanley said:
How hard is it to remove the old, red rod? Press out or is there any adhesive to deal with?

No adhesives... if you look closely at the existing rod you can see that it is flared by heat at each end. So you will need to cut the existing rod in the sight in half - then push the the two pieces out each end of the sight. Then cut the the new rod slightly longer than needed. I use a point soldering tool to touch and flatten one of the new rod. Insert the rod into and through the sight then with the soldering iron melt the other end and form a small flattened end.

If you look closely in the picture you can see where melted and flattened the front of the sight.

Green-Rod-0-060.jpg

Mike, That is exactly how we do Archery pin sights when replacing the Fiber optic, push it through, then slightly melt the 1 end So it cannot come back through the Housing/Hole, And man is it NICE N BRIGHT! The Old Stuff from years ago was Brittle, this new stuff of today (or at least what i have worked with) is some VERY durable stuff. I like the Green you have in your rifle :yeah:

There is a possibility that you may have some red/green color deficiency with your eyesight and that's why the green looks so much better. I actually found out I was affected by this when one of my sons was having an eye exam when he was younger and the doctor was showing me the pictures they use of different colored dots and those with some deficiency see different numbers. I knew I could never see red or blaze orange as well as others and that explained why. I still see red and it looks like red to me but it just looks different than what other people see as red.

Mike, I went out hunting with my TC Renegade a couple of weeks ago and in the fading light, a doe appeared in a soybean field about 75yds away.
As much as I tried I could not see the front post on my globe sight. I was forewarned that this could happen, but I was itching to hunt with my Renegade. So I ordered the Green Pins from the link you posted. I ordered from Buffalo Arms the Williams Gun Fire Sight with a height of .406. I followed your procedure in using diagonal clippers to cut the original Red Fiber Optic pin. I then inserted the Green Fiber Optic rod into the front sight. I then heated my Glue Gun and when it got hot, I put it against the one end until it started to melt and I knew it would not pull out. Then I trimmed the other side and left about 1/16" of the rod sticking out and melted that side so the rod can't move. It worked like a charm! I love the Green Fiber Optic pins on my Bow as they are the first to appear at Dawn and the last to fade out at Dusk. I'll use the Globe sight for Target shooting and Fiber Optic sight for hunting. Now to go out and re-sight in my Renegade. :D

I just wished someone would make a Fiber Optic Post for Globe sights, or there was some kind of paint you could purchase that would glow in the fading light. Naturally, I would like it to glow Green. :D

I ordered a green rod the day of my last post but the USPS has lost it and now I’m starting over. :evil: :wall: I was hoping to have it installed for late mz season. Oh well. It’ll still be great when it gets here.

JStanley said:
I ordered a green rod the day of my last post but the USPS has lost it and now I’m starting over. :evil: :wall: I was hoping to have it installed for late mz season. Oh well. It’ll still be great when it gets here.

crap!!!

edmehlig said:
Mike, I went out hunting with my TC Renegade a couple of weeks ago and in the fading light, a doe appeared in a soybean field about 75yds away.
As much as I tried I could not see the front post on my globe sight. I was forewarned that this could happen, but I was itching to hunt with my Renegade. So I ordered the Green Pins from the link you posted. I ordered from Buffalo Arms the Williams Gun Fire Sight with a height of .406. I followed your procedure in using diagonal clippers to cut the original Red Fiber Optic pin. I then inserted the Green Fiber Optic rod into the front sight. I then heated my Glue Gun and when it got hot, I put it against the one end until it started to melt and I knew it would not pull out. Then I trimmed the other side and left about 1/16" of the rod sticking out and melted that side so the rod can't move. It worked like a charm! I love the Green Fiber Optic pins on my Bow as they are the first to appear at Dawn and the last to fade out at Dusk. I'll use the Globe sight for Target shooting and Fiber Optic sight for hunting. Now to go out and re-sight in my Renegade. :D

I just wished someone would make a Fiber Optic Post for Globe sights, or there was some kind of paint you could purchase that would glow in the fading light. Naturally, I would like it to glow Green. :D

The main problem with the Globe Front sights like the 17 Series in Low light is that they are Totally enclosed, You are looking through a Small Dark tunnel at the end of the Rainbow, And on top of that if you are using a Lee Shaver’s Type BPCR insert thay are super Thin, like hair on your head Thin! The ultra fine BPCR inserts alone would be difficult to See in Low light Conditions, Then put them inside a Small Dark Tunnel Globe 20 Plus inches or so away from your Eye and you REALLY make it Tough to see in Low light! A brighter Pin should help some, But it will not be a “Cure All” The fully Enclosed Globe is stil gonna cause problems in Low light.

I shoot the 17 Globe Front sights, and Tiny BPCR inserts so well that i am willing to Trade off. When it gets to Dark for me to See, it’s time to Quit :yeah: I’m not gonna trade for a Brighter Open bead Sight that Covers the Whole Mountain Side up

someone needs to come up with a fiber optic wrapped front globe sight like a archery sight with a thin .010 fiber optic or even a little smaller, would be perfect for low light then.
maybe a clear polycarbonate globe with the fiber inside protected and fiber comes out the back into center of globe for the crosshair or whatever type you would want. I can see it just cant explain it very well. Could even have a sliding rheostat type hood that could be moved over the top of fiber to control rightness so it wouldn't be to bright in certain lighting conditions.

dbowling said:
someone needs to come up with a fiber optic wrapped front globe sight like a archery sight with a thin .010 fiber optic or even a little smaller, would be perfect for low light then.
maybe a clear polycarbonate globe with the fiber inside protected and fiber comes out the back into center of globe for the crosshair or whatever type you would want. I can see it just cant explain it very well. Could even have a sliding rheostat type hood that could be moved over the top of fiber to control rightness so it wouldn't be to bright in certain lighting conditions.

I spoke with Lee Shaver’s about this a long time ago, my idea was a Tritium Type bead insert (like on Pistol night sights) Lee spoke about the Fiber optic Wrap idea back then, he Talked about a Fiber optic wire wrapped around the outside of the Globe, and somehow entering the Bottom iirc? I was excited to see something come of it, but it never did.

I even Emailed Trijicon about making a “High Vis” insert for the 17 Globe, that went nowhere as well. Someone needs to jump in with both feet and Get 1 done :yeah:

Guess we could experiment my grinding a portion of the top of the globe off to let in more light? That would take care of the globe issue. Now to figure out about the sight. I Just don’t understand why they don’t make a globe fight like Sabotloafer has on his rifle for traditional ML’s??? Problem would be solved.

edmehlig said:
Guess we could experiment my grinding a portion of the top of the globe off to let in more light? That would take care of the globe issue. Now to figure out about the sight. I Just don’t understand why they don’t make a globe fight like Sabotloafer has on his rifle for traditional ML’s??? Problem would be solved.

One thing to remember, It is the Globe Housing that is Protecting the fine BPCR inserts from getting Broke if you got caught up in Brush, These Little inserts seem quite Durable (i have yet to break 1) but as fine as they are, they can’t be as Durable as a Normal Bead Front sight. That is the problem i see with Opening the Top of the 17 Globe, i like Sabotloader’s Open Top Front Sight Housing as well, i can see it would work STELLAR with a Durable Bead Type Front sight like he uses, The new Fiber optic Wire stuff these days is REALLY Durable Compared to the Old stuff years ago. But that Housing like Mike’s would leave very little protection to these Fine BPCR inserts.

These Globes like the 17 Series with Fine BPCR inserts are really a better Target Front Sight than a Hunting sight. Us guy’s that use, and Swear by them know our limitations, Low light is NOT our friend. It’s a bummer to not be able to hunt in Those times, Which are some of the best times to be out there. This is one of the Main reasons i have such a Hard time giving up my Scoped Centerfire rifle during our Whitetail Deer season. Excluding the Rutt, The majority of Big Mature bucks i see is at first light, and the last hour before Dark, And of course These are the Times my 17 Globe and Fine BPCR inserts become impossible, or nearly impossible to see :wall:

JStanley said:

Good news, my green rod just arrived today!! I'll have it ready to hunt this weekend. Woo Hoo! A whole month to arrive....

I was just going to ask you for your mailing address as I bought a few to have on hand and was going to mail you one.

Try what I did with a glue gun, it worked Great!

I followed your procedure in using diagonal clippers to cut the original Red Fiber Optic pin. I then inserted the Green Fiber Optic rod into the front sight. I then heated my Glue Gun and when it got hot, I put it against the one end until it started to melt and I knew it would not pull out. Then I trimmed the other side and left about 1/16" of the rod sticking out and melted that side so the rod can't move. It worked like a charm!

Latest posts

Back