Cheap and Not scope service

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugbuk

Reaction score
I had Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 ($400 scope) mounted on Steyr 376 for two months. After about 100 shoots I found debris on internal lenses. Sent it to Zeiss and received new one in a week. Go Zeiss?. :applause:

I had Cabela?s Pine Ridge 2-7X32 (bought it for $79) on turkey shotgun for 2 years. Found debris on internal lenses. Sent it to Cabela?s. Received a new one in 2 weeks along with the check for $10 (They sell it now for $69). Go Cabela?s? :applause:

Cheap vs. Not Cheap ? Go figure? :think:

I can attest to Cabela's being beyond approach in the Customer Service area!! Been dealing with them since Dick & Jim started out w/Sports Afield marabou fly mail order ad back in early 60's. They started business in a backyard shed. :D

I am a new member. Great website. Have a Huntsman plus a new scopeless Disc Elite I just purchased. Is the Cabelas Pine Ridge 3x9 any good. On sale for $69. Sounds like good coustomer service. I need a cheap scope that can handle a muzzleloader till I can afford another. Would like it to hold up for several years. Cannot afford much more than $70. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Two of my friends have a pine ridge from Cabela's and they both say it won't hold a zero. I believe you would be better off with a low end bushnell.

Thanks guys, I will check out the Swift and the Bushnell.

And my wife thought that would be the end of it when I ordered the Elite yesterday. Here we go again!!!

JRSR126 said:
Thanks guys, I will check out the Swift and the Bushnell.

And my wife thought that would be the end of it when I ordered the Elite yesterday. Here we go again!!!

I agree 100% with big 6x6....That swift model is an awsome buy!! I love mine. Oh, and get used to the wife thing, it doesn't get better, so learn to live with it like the rest of us. :lol:

Yeah, I need to suck it up. With only 2 guns, I don't have the battle scars some of you married guys have gotten obtaining your big gun stashes. Wish these things looked like furniture.

I bought the Swift 656 3x9 from SWFA for $105 ($95 +$10). Looks like a good company and decent price. Thanks guys for all your help. I am really enjoying this sight and learning alot. The Disc Elite has been shipped and I can hardly wait. May be able to do a range trip next Saturday if the scope gets here in time.

nugbuk said:
I had Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 ($400 scope) mounted on Steyr 376 for two months. After about 100 shoots I found debris on internal lenses. Sent it to Zeiss and received new one in a week. Go Zeiss?. :applause:

I had Cabela?s Pine Ridge 2-7X32 (bought it for $79) on turkey shotgun for 2 years. Found debris on internal lenses. Sent it to Cabela?s. Received a new one in 2 weeks along with the check for $10 (They sell it now for $69). Go Cabela?s? :applause:

Cheap vs. Not Cheap ? Go figure? :think:
Is that a common thing on the Steyrs?I have a buddy who had a Swarovski damaged on that particular rifle,and have read of a few other people who had quality scopes damaged while on this gun,coincidence?or prevalent problem?Just curious as to what your take is on this.

Tar-12 said:
Is that a common thing on the Steyrs?I have a buddy who had a Swarovski damaged on that particular rifle,and have read of a few other people who had quality scopes damaged while on this gun,coincidence?or prevalent problem?Just curious as to what your take is on this.

This is problem with any hard recoiling rifle. Too much stress on the scope. Scout is very light rifle and stress it puts on the scope is comparable with big .45 cal guns. Those guns known to be scope killers. That is why light and low magnification scopes are preferable for big guns. I never had any problems with scout scope which came with gun. I think Zeiss Conquest scopes are not designed to be mounted on hard recoiling guns.

This is problem with any hard recoiling rifle. Too much stress on the scope. Scout is very light rifle and stress it puts on the scope is comparable with big .45 cal guns. Those guns known to be scope killers. That is why light and low magnification scopes are preferable for big guns

The Leupold 1.5-5X20 and 1.75-6X32 have about the best reputations of any scopes for any heavy recoiling rifle.

I bought the Swift 656 3x9 from SWFA for $105 ($95 +$10). Looks like a good company and decent price. Thanks guys for all your help.

I think you'll like that scope. GREAT scope for the money!

big6x6 said:
The Leupold 1.5-5X20 and 1.75-6X32 have about the best reputations of any scopes for any heavy recoiling rifle.

big6x6,
I also like Leupold European-30 Scope 30mm Tube 1.25-4x 20mm. I have it on .458 Win Mag.
I agree, Leupold scopes are the best affordable scopes for the big guns.
Although I would like to see how they compare with Schmidt Bender Zenith?s.

I have also gotten very good service from Leupold.

Sent my 2.5X8X36 in because loss the elevation adjustment. Leupold sent in back in less than 3 weeks.

I had a Swift Premier 3-9X40 on my 10MLII. I messed up and the gun fell muzzle first to the ground from an elevated blind(6ft.) The scope banged on the rungs all the way down. Took it back to dealer and he sent it back in. Two weeks later I had a brand new scope. There aren't many scope makers that will do that when the damage was your own fault! That is why I only have Swift scopes on my four Savage rifles. Also have an extra Swift scope waiting to go on my next Savage.

Latest posts

Back