Bow range scope for dark canopy ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffhunter

Reaction score
I cant make a decision in all my research. I wish weaver still made a 4x38. I think the fixed scopes hold more light at the critical time and leupold no longer makes a 4x33, 4x36 if they did nor the 6x36 or the nikon 4x40. No quality fixed scopes with bigger objectives anymore. I would buy the leupold 6x42 in a heartbeart but its overpriced. I hunt two properties. One within the edge of an open field. The other side of the state, my feeder is about 8-10 yards away. heavy dark canopy, very wooded. I HAD a simmons aetec 2.8-1-x44 and it cost me a deer at the wooded spot. Even at 2.8. Horrible choice and my fault. I have been researching reviews for a 22 mag scope as well (short range calling) and my knight. My old fixed 6x40 went kaput and i have not found the right scope. Wooded spot, all shots are likely under 30 yards. My dad and i put all of our scopes together at dusk one night with the lights off and the window open looking 100 yards out. Used konus 2-7x33, unknown 3-9x40 konus 6x40, old nikon monarch 1-4x20. The cheap 6x40 was the clear winner and only usable scope well beyond shooting light. I did the same test again at my home with a nikon prostaff 2-7x32, weaver 2-7x28, bsa 3-9x32 and an old bsa 4x32 deerhunter. The 4x32 was the winner but not ideal. I got it on a new cz 22 mag for woods calling and i thought it was lousy when i went calling at dusk. Think I decided on a leupold 3-9 rimfire on the 22.

So im not sure which direction to go. Wish i could barrow a bunch and head to the woods to see which one. So im looking at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 ( super bright in store/both eyes open all through dial), leupold 2.5x20, 1-4x20, 4x28 rimfire, 3-9 x40 or 50 with hunt plex. Vortex 3-9x 40/50 with lighted dot. Hawke 4x32 (dont know anything about hawke) or swift 4x40 (only 3in eye relief mixed reviews from old/new owners). Sightmark 4x32 lighted reticle. Not sure about the small objectives but lots of 2.5 and 1-4s in use for shotgun. So whats your experience or go to in these tight dark spots. thanks

Last edited:
GM54-120, Thanks I have read about the meopta 6x42 and the swfa. I also read CZ used to sell a version of the Meopta 6x42 for cheap. BUT meopta doesnt import the 6 anymore and the used ones here sell about the same price as the leupold 6x42. SWFA, dont care for the reticle but all ive ever seen was the mil dot thing. Seems to be a very valid scope and glass and never a bad review. I may go that direction for the 22 mag if i dont get a leupold rimfire 3-9. I checked swfa, optics planet, midwayusa etc and when you search 4x fixed there is really no quality brands making one. There is the simmons 8 point, sightmark, hawke and many no name budget ones. Today it sounds like our family farm is being sold so no more long shot just the thick woods style needed scope at this point.

Didnt release that swfa was a rear AO and 30mm plus 20.6 ounces.

Last edited:
If your shooting is 30yds and in I'd stay away from a 6x. I'm sure you know that, too. Without parallax adjustment it probably wouldn't be in focus at that range anyway.

Vortex scopes let in a LOT of light. At the expense of parallax. They told me so themselves. Cheek weld has to be perfect or you could be off by just a little. Not so much at 30yds, but if you like punching one hole in a target it will be affected.

I have a small crossbow scope mounted to something... it escapes me now, but I love it for it's size, weight and the fact it's a scope and lets in light. Much better than irons

And Hawke is a good brand. I have one of their scopes on a PCP pellet gun and two more on crossbows.

But yeah, it sure would be nice if a company other than Leupold made a smaller, low powdered, fixed magnification scope.

I might have missed what you were putting it on other than a ML or I might have more ideas for you to kick around.

If your shooting is 30yds and in I'd stay away from a 6x. I'm sure you know that, too. Without parallax adjustment it probably wouldn't be in focus at that range anyway.

Vortex scopes let in a LOT of light. At the expense of parallax. They told me so themselves. Cheek weld has to be perfect or you could be off by just a little. Not so much at 30yds, but if you like punching one hole in a target it will be affected.

I have a small crossbow scope mounted to something... it escapes me now, but I love it for it's size, weight and the fact it's a scope and lets in light. Much better than irons

And Hawke is a good brand. I have one of their scopes on a PCP pellet gun and two more on crossbows.

But yeah, it sure would be nice if a company other than Leupold made a smaller, low powdered, fixed magnification scope.

I might have missed what you were putting it on other than a ML or I might have more ideas for you to kick around.on
On a Knight Disc So what size scope are you recommending? While looking for a rimfire scope recently as well. I had looked through vortex crossfire 2-7x32 + 1-4x24 30mm and the diamondback 1.75-5x32 + 2-7x35 rimfire. crossfires was not very bright imo, the diamondbacks were not and day as far as brightness. I noticed those two diamondbacks had large 1.69 inch eyepieces. Which are bigger than leupolds freedom 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 are 1.56.

Yeah, at 30 yards in low light, I’d ditch the cheap scopes and go with a nice reflex or red dot sight. Or, ideally, use a scope with great glass, an illuminated reticle and one that has no more than 1x or 2.5x on the low end. I think the quality of the glass and coatings is a much bigger factor in low light than fixed vs variable. IMO, 6x (maybe even 4x) would be way too much at 30 yards.

Trijicon and Maven offer some lower power scopes with upper mid end glass. Only down side is the eye relief is gunna by rough on some MLs or hard kickers.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/category/riflescopes
https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes
Meopta has the 2-10x42 in a PA model also. The glass itself punches quite a bit above its price point. Older Meopro line are nicer but good luck finding them.
Ugly as sin but its not a gazillion dollars either. These go on sale for about $50-100 less.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...cdd2-0138-a7a8-00163ecd2826?variation=2779751

I originally had a Simmons prohunter 6x40 on my previous for 15yrs till it broke. It was the perfect scope for both environments. For a cheap scope it had plenty of low light draw and the 6x just felt perfect. Im still kicking myself for not grabbing a Weaver 4 or 6x or a nikon 4x40. I dont care for red dot or the other style, i went fixed sights for my duty rifle just avoid them. I was very impressed with the Diamondback 1.75-5x32 and ive also wondered about the Leupold 4x28 and for the same price i could get the swfa 6x42 but its heavy.

The fixed power Classic K Weavers pop up on auction sites occasionally too. Only bad part is if it needs replacement now it will be handled by Bushnell. Highly doubtful you will get it back. They will replace it with a current Bushnell. Many of the older Weavers were also made by LOW.

I cant make a decision in all my research. I wish weaver still made a 4x38. I think the fixed scopes hold more light at the critical time and leupold no longer makes a 4x33, 4x36 if they did nor the 6x36 or the nikon 4x40. No quality fixed scopes with bigger objectives anymore. I would buy the leupold 6x42 in a heartbeart but its overpriced. I hunt two properties. One within the edge of an open field. The other side of the state, my feeder is about 8-10 yards away. heavy dark canopy, very wooded. I HAD a simmons aetec 2.8-1-x44 and it cost me a deer at the wooded spot. Even at 2.8. Horrible choice and my fault. I have been researching reviews for a 22 mag scope as well (short range calling) and my knight. My old fixed 6x40 went kaput and i have not found the right scope. Wooded spot, all shots are likely under 30 yards. My dad and i put all of our scopes together at dusk one night with the lights off and the window open looking 100 yards out. Used konus 2-7x33, unknown 3-9x40 konus 6x40, old nikon monarch 1-4x20. The cheap 6x40 was the clear winner and only usable scope well beyond shooting light. I did the same test again at my home with a nikon prostaff 2-7x32, weaver 2-7x28, bsa 3-9x32 and an old bsa 4x32 deerhunter. The 4x32 was the winner but not ideal. I got it on a new cz 22 mag for woods calling and i thought it was lousy when i went calling at dusk. Think I decided on a leupold 3-9 rimfire on the 22.

So im not sure which direction to go. Wish i could barrow a bunch and head to the woods to see which one. So im looking at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 ( super bright in store/both eyes open all through dial), leupold 2.5x20, 1-4x20, 4x28 rimfire, 3-9 x40 or 50 with hunt plex. Vortex 3-9x 40/50 with lighted dot. Hawke 4x32 (dont know anything about hawke) or swift 4x40 (only 3in eye relief mixed reviews from old/new owners). Sightmark 4x32 lighted reticle. Not sure about the small objectives but lots of 2.5 and 1-4s in use for shotgun. So whats your experience or go to in these tight dark spots. thanks
For your two properties you might want to consider that 3x-9x x 50 with Duplex crosshairs. JMO

Something with 2.5(3.5)-10x50mm with a 30mm tube(in a quality scope) would give you great low light and low magnification but still work well when you get out of them wood. Yes bigger and heavier but sounds like you set up more than still hunt.

Claimed 15.2oz on the Sightron. If the glass is similar to a STAC you will probably be happy. Both are made at the same Kenko plant in the Philippines.

Cameraland had these on sale recently.
https://sightron.com/collections/s1-series/products/s1-3-5-10x50-g2-duplex
A great scope to watch for is a older Sightron SII Big Sky. They were basically 1" tube SIIIs with similar quality lens and internals. Ive got a 3-9x42. Weighs in just under 16oz. Made in Japan by Kenko.

BTW if you find one make sure its duplex or at least not the HHR. I find the HHR reticle to be too thin on mine for shadows. The lines are super fine in the center and the dot is tiny too.

Very very nice if you can find one. Midway blew some out CHEAP a few months ago. Like $200 cheap.

Back