Chronograph work

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat2

Reaction score
One of the important part of finding a consistent load match was told to me at the Oakridge shoot was to do chronograph work with your gun and load. I don't know one from the other so help with a choice of one would be appreciated. Thanks.

I bought this one last summer.

https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Elec ... B0028MTBJ4

Does what I need it to and I am 100% satisfied with it. I bought the tripod also for setting it up. So far I have shot muzzleloaders, .44 mag, and 4 different bows through it and it appears to be consistant. It does not register my kids Nerf guns tho. If my father in law ever gives it back to me I am working on my 30-06 loads through it next. Hard to beat for the price.

I know the shooter that I was talking to, witch is a world class shooter said you look for a rating of 6 or so from your shot group. If this makes any sense.

I have that exact same Competition Electronics Chrono, mine is a POS! Brand new out of the box with a new battery installed, i checked all 9 banks, they were 0 as should be, i shot a string in bank 1 with my .44 Magnum revolver, all 6 shots read numbers that i figured it should 1400 and something? I put the chronograph away, the next day i turned the unit on and was gonna review the shots again, it had changed EVERY shot in the chronograph somehow? There were numbers that i had nothing that could have even made them, 460 fps, 314, 912, 1054, etc. etc. Somehow the numbers had MYSTERIOUSLY changed to something totally different??? I contacted Competition Electronics and explained, I packaged the unit back up and shipped it back to them, I received another unit, It does the EXACT same thing (I REALLY WISH I HAD SCRIBED MY NAME INSIDE THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT OF THE 1 I SENT BACK!) I don’t think they replaced my unit? I think They tested it, it didn’t do it with them, and they shipped the same unit back to me? What’s the chances of getting 2 in a row like this? The funny thing is, i trust the numbers as it gives them to me, But i make DARN sure and write them down before turning the unit off! After the ride home I review the numbers, about every other trip it will go AWOL and change numbers to something totally different??? And now n then it holds the original numbers.

I would NEVER buy another 1 of these. I contacted them again, i spoke with a Man named Jim, he basically told me that i was the only person that had ever had a problem like this? And that my unit was not under warranty anymore. My last conversation with him wasn’t great to say the least.

If i were gonna buy another Chronograph i would save my money and buy a LabRadar, Or an Oehler if they stil have them? I know they were having trouble getting parts to make the Oehler‘s for awhile. Truth is i don’t use a Chronograph enough to warrant the Cost

I have the same one and love it, Its 2 years old and works great. I did purchase the screen protection piece. Looks like a bent piece of lexan but it works saves the screen from a sabot hitting it

I would spend 10x as much time developing a load that gives me the best group (assuming each load is repeated the same including cleaning/wiping, bullet weight, powder charge, fit and seating pressure, etc.). Then maybe Chrono what you have developed.
I have the LabRadar - no complaints.

Yes I agree with that ,trying to figure out what was ment by this average number? This man shot on my squad.

52Bore said:
I would spend 10x as much time developing a load that gives me the best group (assuming each load is repeated the same including cleaning/wiping, bullet weight, powder charge, fit and seating pressure, etc.). Then maybe Chrono what you have developed.

What Rick said!! My Chronograph is one of the most unused tools i own, Which is precisely why it’s hard for me to shell out 600 bucks for a good one. My time is spent doing EXACTLY what Rick says above, I like to check velocity after i have a rifle shooting good, then the Chronograph goes back to the Basement for another long stay. I use my Chronograph FAR more with Archery, and Centerfire load development, imperative for Custom Turrets.

what he meant was getting the deviation down to that number 6 or less. Your cleaning between shots helps that

45cal said:
what he meant was getting the deviation down to that number 6 or less. Your cleaning between shots helps that

I agree, Make each shot as close as you possibly can to the last one :yeah:

52Bore said:

Rick do you have any trouble with your LabRadar reading your Black Powder loads ? I have only tried to shoot across a LabRadar once and it would not read my Blackhorn loads . I called the company and they said that could be a problem . I had full intentions of buying one until then . I did some research and found that a Magnaspeed is suppose to be the most accurate . But it's really not made to shoot across for groups . I basically do exactly what you guys are doing . Develope a load then chonogragh . Just thought it would be nice to chronograph while developing a load .

I've never had a problem with Black. When Ron was testing my HP size in the 50/475gr bullet with 35grW BH209 - I shot his load to see what my Velocity was. I could not pick it up until I found the setting for the radar to search for bullet movement/tracking vs decibels from the crack of the shot (mic).

Back