Chronographs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtns2Hunt

Reaction score
Just dusted off my Chronograph and plan on using it tomorrow. Does anyone else use them. Just wondering due to all the talk and questions in regard to powder, bullets and accuracy. I am not sure I beleive all the BC's manufactures clam and would like positive and objective information. Any feed back would be appreciated.

I've shot a lot of different muzzleloader loads over my chrono, and learned a lot by doing so. One thing I learned is that sabots separate from the bullets very quickly and can kill a chronograph! :d'oh!: Use a piece of plexi-glass or similar material to protect your instrument.
Have fun.

I love my Chrony & I have a separate remote display so I don't worry about sabots hitting it. Be careful not to get to worked up over BC's because a well constructed bullet will perform well. Knowing my velocity is more important to me. Knowing that I'm operating at the speed the bullet was designed for is what matters.

I have a ohler 35. Me and a friend of mine went together on it many years ago. I chronoed a lot of loads. I haven't used it in years. Ron

It's another toy for the MZ Enthusiast. I like to see the speeds I'm hitting, then plug it into a ballistics chart, then confirm it at the range for long range shooting.

I find one valuable.

Thanks for the warning about the sabots and potential damage. So far I have only useed a chrono to check the speed on a crossbow. I guess it really is a toy for a muzzel loader but I will feel more comfortable knowing how it is performing - especally in regard to SD between shots.

I will be much more involved with it when logging different loads for my center fire rifles.

Isn't a chronograph invaluable?

Using muzzle velocity measured by a chronograph, one can use any number of ballistic calculators available to purchase, or available on line, to calculate how one's bullet will fly. One can calculate where a bullet will hit a way out there, if one knows the muzzle velocity of the bullet. Myself, i have been able to kill deer a way over 200 yards out. Once, i killed an antelope (pronghorn), over 300 yards out with my muzzle loader. Shots like these are impossible, unless one has plenty of practice at range. Myself, i can't picture making these shots at ranges one doesn't practice, without knowing the muzzle velocity of one's load, unless one has a jillion tries. Naturally, it doesn't hurt to practice long range shooting at the range. However, at the range, one shoots at 100 yard, 200 yard, 300 yard etc. How does this insure point of impact at the in between ranges which naturally happen whilst hunting? Especially, especially using a muzzle loader at varying long ranges, it is very necessary to know muzzle velocity, which is found by using a chronograph.

Once, i smucked a milk jug filled with water at over 1/4 mile, using a muzzle loading rifle loaded with 115g of powder. This was done with one shot,........ one shot. There was no practice, there was no fire for affect (effect)? It seems the only only way a shot like this can be done, is by knowing the muzzle velocity, knowing the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, and using a ballistic calculator.

Sabots, as other mentioned, can/will/do damage one's chrono, and it is prudent to protect against sabot damage. Another issue i have experienced is placing the clock too close. This cures the issue of sabot separation, but allows muzzle blast to damage the machine.

Using a chronograph does require some simple precautions. Clocking in direct sun light should be avoided if possible. The machine needs to be placed close enough to avoid sabot damage, but far away enough to avoid 'blast' damage. Another way to clock bullet speed, is to put the 'clock' so far away, a sabot can't possibly reach it. This method requires one to use a ballistic calculator backwards, to find the muzzle velocity. One needs to develop simple skills in order to successfully measure bullet speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions about ballistics calculator software. No clue about how much they cost but would like to try one out before buying. Played with my chronograph yesterday it was fun but it seemed to take forever to get everything set up right. Thanks for all the warnings about sabots and damage they can cause. Used a piece of paneling to shield, they impacted pretty hard.

Mtns2Hunt said:
Does anyone have any suggestions about ballistics calculator software. No clue about how much they cost but would like to try one out before buying. Played with my chronograph yesterday it was fun but it seemed to take forever to get everything set up right. Thanks for all the warnings about sabots and damage they can cause. Used a piece of paneling to shield, they impacted pretty hard.

This one is FREE, I use it and know a number who also use it. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/200 ... -software/

Here's my last setup. Chrony Beta Master about 12 feet beyond muzzle.
c58dd65c-9db7-416c-ab5f-1ed6eb10fd0b_zpsc64d42dc.jpg

The skyscreen sticks have been replaced with chopsticks super glued together. They fit perfectly and break cleanly if/when hit by a sabot as seen below. Replacements are free and I carry extras. Bullet hit bullseye 50 yards out, but the sabot can possibly sail off quickly out of the muzzle.
931cbda7-2ed4-43e4-881a-34ef09e56645_zps8520a87c.jpg

Thanks for the link to the ballistics table I have already been skimming through it and will start in-putting some data tomorrow. I am going to shoot some more in the am when it is cold.

Chop sticks - would never have thought in a million years! Thanks guys for the info! 8)

LarryBud said:
It's another toy for the MZ Enthusiast. I like to see the speeds I'm hitting, then plug it into a ballistics chart, then confirm it at the range for long range shooting.

I find one valuable.

I agree - I like to verify instead of taking something for granted.

My pet load chronoed out at around 2140 for the 200 grain shock wave with 110 grains of Black Horn 209 in my TC Pro Hunter. Not as fast as some of the smokeless power guns but plenty fast enough for the shockwave (with good shot placement) to do its job. I am very pleased with the accuracy at present but will still try some different sabots. The shock wave its self performed extremely well this past season. I am considering using the 250 g to check performance.

Thanks all for the advice and information - especially on protecting my chronograph from separating sabots. I found out real quick that they can rock a chronograph.

I've recently tested the 250 shockwave and 100 gr BH209 in my CVA Wolf. Very happy with accuracy but have not checked velocity yet.
Wondering how the 200 performs on deer vs 250 or 300 gr?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Using my Pro Hunter and 110 grains of BH209 with a two hundred grain Shockwave I am averaging 2140. fps. Shot a big doe through both shoulders at about 150 in a rain storm and she traveled through a fence and about 30 yards into a bunch of pines. Friend shot a doe at three hundred yards and dropped her on the spot. I also had several on the spot kills with no traveling. In parts of Virginia we have a two deer a day limit everyday of the season. So plenty of practice. Very happy with the 200 grain shockwave -I have never recovered one. I have shot 250's before but prefer the 200's.

Latest posts

Back