Cleaning A Muzzleloader Breechplug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones816

Reaction score
Do these actually fit all the way through a CVA BH209 QRBP? If not how do you clean one out? My nipple cleaner doesn't reach all the way.

Pipe cleaners don't go all the way through, the Flash hole is too small. I do use them as a final cleaning on the Flash channel. Scrape the flash channel out with a drill bit (twist by hand) of proper size for the Flash channel, I think CVA takes a 3mm bit. Clean the powder side and blow out the flash channel with Air or even Carb and choke cleaner. I personally never put anything metal into the Flash hole for cleaning and only use pin gauges to check it's size. I don't find the flash hole gets that dirty.

i get my pipe cleaners much cheaper though Amazon.

After using things like pipe cleaner, q-tips and/or drill bits, I spray carb cleaner - then reach for either my pill bottle or vitamins bottle, which is just big enough to house my breechplug - then load the pill bottle with vinegar and do a 24 hour soak & occasional shake.

After 24 hours, that liquid should be pretty dark. Then one last time I do the carb cleaner-thing - then computer air can-thing, to dry things out much faster.

I never install my breechplug during rifle storage months. I'll put it in a sandwich baggie, but won't close the seal. That baggie gets rubber-banded around my barrel, entire cleaned gun now sitting bore-side down inside my gun safe.

The most important tool for cleaning your Blackhorn QRBP is a 1/8" drill. Use the drill to remove the hard carbon from the flash channel. A second very important cleaning is to be sure there is no debris in the primer seat; the seat should be clean shiny steel. A good solvent helps soften any carbon deposit on the plug. Surprisingly, something like windex with vinegar works good to soften the carbon deposit. After softening the carbon, is when you would use the pipe cleaner in the flame channel. One shouldn't ream the flash hole much, it wears with each, and every shot; no good reason to accelerate this wear with the cleaning procedure.

I really don't care for anything that can cut, as in that small drill bit, going thru my plugs. If one seems to need to clean that tiny hole out use a strand from some stranded copper wire to poke thru there. The copper wire is soft and will not cut or harm the steel plug and does everything that the small drill bit will do.

How can it cut when it's the size of the hole and is held in perfect alignment by the flash channel? If there is fouling built up in the flash hole, A soft copper wire won't remove it.

Right now I'm using T7 so the breechplug is different than the BH209 plug. Could the BH209 plug be used with T7? What would happen? When using the BH209 plug, some of the powder must fill in to the plug, yes?

Bones816 said:
Right now I'm using T7 so the breechplug is different than the BH209 plug. Could the BH209 plug be used with T7? What would happen? When using the BH209 plug, some of the powder must fill in to the plug, yes?

The BH plug is made for all loose powders. The stock BP is made specifically for pellets.

Muley Hunter said:
Bones816 said:

The BH plug is made for all loose powders. The stock BP is made specifically for pellets.
Ok. Good to know.

Now, I had not used the drill bit (1/8") on my breechplug yet. I have about 35 shots through it. I can't even get it started! I was able to use a 7/64" bit and cleaned quite a bit of fouling out but the 1/8" won't go.

Bones816 said:
Muley Hunter said:
Bones816 said:

Ok. Good to know.

Now, I had not used the drill bit (1/8") on my breechplug yet. I have about 35 shots through it. I can't even get it started! I was able to use a 7/64" bit and cleaned quite a bit of fouling out but the 1/8" won't go.

I usually clean mine after 5-6 shots. You waited way too long. Keep trying to get all the carbon cleaned out of it.

Yep. I have it soaking now. Hopefully that will help. Also going to switch to the BH209 plug since I'm using loose T7.

GoexBlackhorn said:
I never install my breechplug during rifle storage months. I'll put it in a sandwich baggie, but won't close the seal. That baggie gets rubber-banded around my barrel, entire cleaned gun now sitting bore-side down inside my gun safe.

I do the same regarding the plugs and storage.

Bones816 said:
Yep. I have it soaking now. Hopefully that will help. Also going to switch to the BH209 plug since I'm using loose T7.

That's your choice if you ever plan to use Bh 209. You really don't have to if you stay with T7. You asked if the BH plug would work with T7 and I said it would, but I probably wouldn't spend the money for the BH plug if I was always going to shoot T7. BH 209 is much harder to ignite and needs the BH plug to be reliable. T7 really doesn't, but it's your choice.

Don't use the 1/8" drill on the standard plug; it is too large. The 7/64" drill is OK. The actual diameter is 3mm, which is a tad larger than the 7/64" drill.

Back