Cleaning barrel between shots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksman72

Reaction score
When sighting in at the range, how many shots should you take before cleaning the barrel? What type of cleaner/soluvent should you use?
Thanks

Mark-Michigan.

CLEAN BETWEEN EVERY SHOT! as far as cleaners i use cayuga's recomended cleaner 50/50 mix of windshield washer fluid and rubbing alchohol it breaks threw the crud ring with ease and the part i like best is it does not leave any sort of sticky residue.

At the very least spit patch followed by a dry patch between every shot. There are a lot of commercial solvents but home brews work just as well.

I use a single spit patch between shots followed by a single dry patch, my gun will then shoot to the same POI everytime. If I shoot a shot or two without cleaning my POI will still be the same. If I clean it to much the first shot is always up and to the right.

cleaning

Be consistent on cleaning method when sighting in. I use the washer/alcohol patch both sides and then dry patch both sides between shots.

I'd experiment & let the gun tell ya how may shots between cleaning..I had my new optima out last week & did a little messin around with cleaning. I went my final seven shots without cleaning at 100yds (after rough sighting the new rifle at 50yds) and paid special attention to how far the bullet would seat after the 1st shot (ALWAYS mark your ramrod)
By switching to the Winchester Triple 7 primers and the Harvester crush rib sabots, 240 XTP's with 100grs of 777,..I could easily go 7-8 shots with no change in the bullet seating depth or really any loss of accuracy...the top 2 shots where the first ones at 100...the next two groups where during scope adjustment & no cleaning,..pink circle was the next two shots...black circle was the final three shots,.the range cleaning I did after that was surprisingly easy..and showed half the residue and crud I used to get with the ole Remington STS 209's....anywho..just my 2 cents,..I believe every gun, powder, primer and bullet/sabot combination will vary. Pay close attention, have fun...and be safe.
cvaoptima.jpg

cvatarget.jpg
[/img]

Windex with vinegar works well for swabbing the barrel between shots. It really eats up Pyrodex and 777 fouling.

This is the clear Windex.

Latest posts

Back