Cleaning the Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean the breech plug?
Now that hunting is over I'm cleaning my m/l really good for the winter and want to find out how you all clean the breech plug.
Thanks Jeff

Hi Jeff, I take a 35mm film container, fill it with TC #13 or Butch's bp bore shine. Drop the breech plug in, put the cover on and let it soak. Every once in a while I give it a good shake. I use a pipe cleaner to get the inside real good. When installing the breech plug I never use breech plug grease. I wrap the threads with teflon tape/plumbers tape. I screw it in till it stops and thats it I dont even snug it. Been doing it that way for years and have never had a problem. After firing you have to give it a good crank to pop it loose and then it screws right out.
Good luck
Frank

I take the breech plug to the kitchen. Fill a coffee can with hot water and add a squirt of dish soap. Then all you do is take an old tooth brush and scrub the outside of the breech plug, a pipe cleaner for the indside, and if it a hollow based kind, rinse it in hot water, and the dip some Q-tips in solvent and scrub all parts of the breech plug you can get to..

After that make sure it is nice and dry.

Back