Co Elk Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jons70

Reaction score
Thanks to all the knowlege on this forum I was able to harvest a Cow Elk, My first, Here's what I used, TC Pro hunter loaded with 90 Grains BH 209(vol) Hornady FPB 350 Grain (tip cut-off flush) CCI Primer. Shot was only 20 yards. through front shoulder, (only shot I had in the trees) she went 10 yards and fell down hill about 75 until a dead fall tree stopped her, and the real work began. Thanks for letting me in the forum and for all the great advice.

Cow

Pictures please! I would also like ot see aq picture of those cut off FPB's if possible? Thanks and congrats

Congratulations jons70!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like the BH209 and Hornady FPB's are 3 and 0 on Colorado elk so far this year, on this forum anyways. :D

Congratulations, could you tell us about penatration and expansion. Lee

Congratulations on the cow elk. Some real good eating there. And Welcome to the forum.

I too would be interested in how well that bullet performed.

The bullet went through the front shoulder blade and stopped just under the hide on the opposite side. It expanded to about 1 inch in diameter. I didn't weight it yet but looks to be mostly all intact. it did the job! But 20 yards isn't that far so it should have done the trick. The FPB's shoot really good out of my TC less than 1" groups @ 100 Yrds open sights from the bench. Chrony average was 1620 10' from muzzle. I didn't have any fliers. Didn't have to swab it just shot good with that load. Thanks Again

The bullet went through the front shoulder blade and stopped just under the hide on the opposite side. It expanded to about 1 inch in diameter. I didn't weight it yet but looks to be mostly all intact. it did the job! But 20 yards isn't that far so it should have done the trick.

Well I think that's real good news for everybond wanting to try the FPB.

A bullet that doesn't blow up with that kind of shot is a real winner. The next question is will it expand well on a 150 yard shot.

Thanks for the report.

Slow that bullet down and shoot 80gr i bet it will exit. Its surprising to me that such a hard alloy bullet is not exiting these elk. Even on lung shots.

Sounds like a great hunt, Do you have any pictures yet?

Well Gander we will eventually see who is right I am cranking up not down with the FPB ; we did some penatration and expansion tests on it and I like it with 110 gr BH. Lee

Great job on the cow! I used 110 gr of BH209 with the 350 gr FPB. Great load, very accurate and consistent. Did a great job on an 8" pine tree. Ripped half the wood off and kept going. My cow is still laughing at me, totally my fault, not the equipment.

jons70 said:
Thanks to all the knowlege on this forum I was able to harvest a Cow Elk, My first, Here's what I used, TC Pro hunter loaded with 90 Grains BH 209(vol) Hornady FPB 350 Grain (tip cut-off flush) CCI Primer. Shot was only 20 yards. through front shoulder, (only shot I had in the trees) she went 10 yards and fell down hill about 75 until a dead fall tree stopped her, and the real work began. Thanks for letting me in the forum and for all the great advice.

yours sounds like a carbon copy of mine (mine ran 50 yards and slid 100 yards downhill! Mine also went through the shoulder and stopped under the opposite hide, and expanded well, and retained most of its weight.

I am ok with no passthrough when the elk only goes a short distance, as both of ours did, but I am also of the opinion that the FPB can take more powder and might be more likelly to pass through with more powder, not less. According to the specs, the front will expand even at low velocities and the back of the bullet will hold up at higher velocities. I am inclined to believe that so far.

Maybe it really does stand for "Forget Power Belts". Sorry Frontier..........

frontier gander said:
Slow that bullet down and shoot 80gr i bet it will exit. Its surprising to me that such a hard alloy bullet is not exiting these elk. Even on lung shots.?

I am not so sure because the front reliably expands AND stays attached to the bullet in the FPB maybe limiting its penetration at lower velocities. Therefore, pushing it slightly harder may get passthroughs. I may try 100 grains next year, but doubt that I will exceed that until others prove it is safe. (I used 90 this year). Couldn't be any deader and I coudn't be any happier with its performance this year on my cow.

frontier gander :( Not this year ,did not get drawn.
Got some big boar around here though planning a hunt about first frost. Lee

where did you put in for? Colorado during second and third season in unit 85 is over the counter bull.

txhunter58 said:
[Maybe it really does stand for "Forget Power Belts". Sorry Frontier..........

Now, that is funny!!! :applause:

Back