Complete Restoration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperdoc

Reaction score
It's another fine mess you've gotten us into Ollie ...
What started out as examining the barrel, cleaning, and going to the range with my Armsport 50 cal has evolved into a complete dismantle and restoration.
40 years ago I browned the barrel ... I used a traditional saltwater method and it turned out ok and I just thought it could be better ... the barrel is now back to bare metal.
Inspecting the stock I noticed this crack so I took it completely apart to inspect. Superglue might fix it ... I'm thinking a new stock is in order.
I now looking at already made stocks as well as starting with a block of wood from scratch ... my son-in-law mills wood and has some fine walnut available which he has offered to me.
What I have now that I did not have 40 years ago is a fairly well equipped wood shop and a whole lot of skill and knowledge. Hmmm? Any thoughts and input appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Stock 1.jpg
    Stock 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Stock 2.jpg
    Stock 2.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Stock 3.jpg
    Stock 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Stock 4.jpg
    Stock 4.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader.

Piper are ya? I love bagpipe music. Several cd's of Irish pub music, mostly pipes.

That stock is going to be a challenge for you. good luck on that endeavor.

Welcome from southeast Oklahoma. I'm sure that stock is repairable. If the metal parts are in good shape, you should go for it and build a new stock.

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader.

Piper are ya? I love bagpipe music. Several cd's of Irish pub music, mostly pipes.

That stock is going to be a challenge for you. good luck on that endeavor.
Indeed the bagpipes ... been playing a while. Got to thinking the whole project over ... leave all as is, clean it up, re-brown the barrel and use as a wall-hanger. All this as practice for a new build.

Welcome from southeast Oklahoma. I'm sure that stock is repairable. If the metal parts are in good shape, you should go for it and build a new stock.
Thank. I have a bit to ponder. As mentioned to MrTom ... maybe use the restoration as practice for an entirely new build. Going to have to look at the time involved ... free wood might be hard to pass up.

Latest posts

Back