Confused

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsrpm

Reaction score
First I had my mind pretty well made up. Then I went into Wholesale Sports to place an order and the guy almost talked me out of it, The Savage, that is. He did not say there was anything wrong with it, per say, but he didn't have a lot of good to say about them. He hunts with an Omega, which was my original choice due to Price.

I still can get kitted out with an Omega ( rifle, scope, cleaning supplies, ammo, etc) for the price of the base rifle in the Savage line.

I know people say that the Savage is far easier to maintain, and cheaper to operate, but the difference in price does pay for alot of the more expensive operation (powder and cleaning suplies) on the Omega

Price does matter somewhat, but not completely. I will not be firing hundreds of rounds yearly.

What do I really need? I know this seems like I am flip floping, I just do not want to make the wrong choice, and be stuck with it.

One last chance for you all to weigh in with your advice and suggestions.

I won't post this type of question again. A rifle, one way or the other, is gonna be bought next week.

Welcome to the board! Many here who enjoy the Savage have in the past and/or still shoot with the traditional powders today. The Omega, like all T/C products are well made and perform as advertised. I've in the past owned two different Encore muzzleloaders, they were well built, shot great, but a pain in the butt to clean every time I went to the range or hunting. My reason for the Savage was simple, it required less daily maintenance!

Now as I became more comfortable with the Savage its benefits became apparent. Ease of maintenance, as I expected, less expensive to shoot, as good or better accuracy and greater usable range. The range is a real plus...

I'm not one to tell you what you should do but I will tell you how it has worked for me. It has been a wonderful gun and the smokeless powder approach to muzzleloading, is in my opinion, the best way to go.

Many here have owned multiple Savage's and other types of smokeless powder muzzleloaders. I fall into that category.

So, buy the best gun and optics you can afford. If the Savage fits into your situation you'll enjoy it completely, If not, you'll enjoy the Omega as well...

Either way Good luck and welcome to the board...

What type of powder are you planning on using?

The biggest selling point of the Savage is the use of smokeless powder. Very minimal clean is required just like a centerfire rifle.

From most accounts using pyrodex, triple seven, etc knocks the Savage down a notch because of cleaning issues. It's not horrible to clean, but it's not the easiest either.

If you're not using smokeless powder, the omega is a good gun. The new Triumph looks to be a very nice gun as well, and even easier to clean. Don't know if it's on the shelves yet, though.

Sounds to me like the guy at WS is an Omega fan only and doesn't know much about the Savage. If he knew more about it, he'd have plenty of good things to say about it. In my case, I'd never go back to an inline. With the Savage there's no big cloud of smoke to obscure you vision after a shot. No cleaning every day after you've fired a shot. Cheaper to shoot and more choices in powder to use, depending on what you want it to do. I found my Savage to be more accurate than any in line I've used. I'm obviously a Savage fan. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Overall in my opinion the Savage has more to offer. I parked my TC after I bought my Savage and there was nothing wrong with my TC.

I guess I am trying to convince myself to spend the extra money

If I go the Omega route I could shoot for at least a couple of years worth of expendables on the money I would save by not purchasing the Savage

If I go the Savage route, I would start by spending more than I had originally planned on equipment (not totally undoable, just a little tight) and then have added expense of powder and ammo on top. BUT would end up with a real sweat gun.

i traded all my bp rifles after i got the savage clint

lsrpm,

I was kind of in the same boat as you recently. I had been using a Knight MK85 for several years and really enjoyed shooting it. And really didn't even mind cleaning it since I wasn't a year 'round shooter like alot of the guys here are. I had been thinking of upgrading for a couple of years to something like an Encore, Omega, Knight Disc or Disc Elite. I really hadn't considered the Savage because I was already set up to shoot a Triple 7 gun. But the more I researched on this site and others I considered my options and decided that if I was going to upgrade then why not really upgrade. The potential performance and ease of maintenance is what really sold me on the Savage. So rather than take advantage of the discounted prices that were out there on the Disc Elites a year or so ago I decided to wait until I could fit the Savage into my budget. The Savage in any configuration is cheaper than an Encore and the SS/Lam Savage that I just got is about the same price as a SS Omega. I'll have a higher initial investment buying new powder, powder scales, and the like. I shoot alot more than I used to and plan to shoot ever more now. So just the savings in cost per pound of smokeless powder vs Triple 7 will add up. Multiply that by the increased shots per pound of smokeless powder vs Triple 7 and it really starts adding up. And, I'm talking loose Triple 7. If you start comparing the cost of the 3 pellet loads of Triple 7 that it takes to approach the performance of a moderate load in the Savage then its not even close. Its the most researched, well educated purchase I've ever made. I haven't even sent my first round down range yet and I'm certain I made the right choice for me.

Bottom line, make an educated purchase that best fits your budget and shoot the heck out of what ever you buy!

I am a high school teacher. I teach computers so bear with me if I put down my thoughts in computer terms

I liken this choice/problem to that of deciding between an injet/bubble jet printer and a laser printer. An inkjet printer is cheaper to buy than a laser, but the laser is cheaper to operate consumables (ink) than the inkjet. And generally speaking, the laser produces better quality results. So a person has to decide whether to save money now, or save money later. Either way you have to live with your choice.

That is almost exactly what I am facing with my choice. As I stated earlier, going with an Omega I will save money off the hop. And that money I save will go a long way toward paying for the consumables (powder, ammo, cleaning supplies necessary, etc.) But if I stay with it long enough, then the cost of consumables will EVENTUALLY make the Savage a better deal.

So that is what it comes down to. Any final thoughts? Opinions?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :shock: . It's a tough one to make. My only comment, and some might disagree, but, the Savage is a better gun, IMHO.

The Savage with smokeless is apparently so easy to maintain, it's almost like you are not hunting with a muzzleloader at all. :roll:

8)

I find it somewhat interesting...

A bunch of you are politely suggesting that I stop hemming and hawing and get the Savage.
javascript:emoticon(':D')

No one is really trying to convince me to get the Omega

They say it is a good gun, but not much more than that.

lsrpm said:
I find it somewhat interesting...

A bunch of you are politely suggesting that I stop hemming and hawing and get the Savage.
javascript:emoticon(':D')

No one is really trying to convince me to get the Omega

They say it is a good gun, but not much more than that.

Many here have been in the same place you are now... Personally, I would not go back to BP unless it was required by law in the area's I hunted... I would do so gladly but not until otherwise directed.... At that time I would buy the best gun and scope I could afford and go to the range and get ready for opening day....

Again, Good luck,

I didn't buy an Omega last spring when I was shopping for a ML rifle because I thought the trigger guard looked tight. I went back a couple of days latter with my hunting gloves and yes it is one tight squeeze to get my fat fingers in there.
If I were going to buy a new ML rifle and didn't want to spend what a Savage cost I would wait and see how much a Trumph is or a knight KP1. If then and only then would I consider a Omega.
Omegas are nice but for fat fingered people that hunt in cold climates (???????????).

:D Al

I have had an Encore as well as numerous other TC ML's, no comparison as far as performance, maintenance, as well as cheaper to shoot IMO the Savage wins easily. If you have or can get hold of a H&R slug gun cheaply you might be able to save a few bucks by getting SMI to convert one of those to a smokeless ML, a quality ML with probably a better barrel than the Savage.

Savage

I am as LOYAL a T/C fan as they come but I will bow down to a superior concept as the Savage.

Then Savage ML does not have the smoke in your face and there is a lot to be said for that. Having the accu-trigger and being smokeless and having the ability to push a bullet 200 feet faster for hunting the Canadian praire's makes the Savage an obvious choice.

Choc-dog

Still Want That Savage

I really wish I could have a Savage. But the higher startup cost is making it somewhat hard to justify.

Here is a thought. Getting one without a scope would bring the rifle, and all the accompanying extras I would need, into the realm of possibility for my budget. A stretched budget, but almost doable. I could look at a scope next year.

BUT I have not read, anywhere on this list, of one person hunting with the open sights. Everyone talks about scopes. Are the open sights that come with the rifle any good?

Now there's a good question and one I can't answer. Haven't shot with open sights, other than a single shot cooey 22, since in my teens and that was a long time ago :wink: . Don't see were they would be any better or worse that the standard sights on any rifle.

Latest posts

Back