Consistant flyers= Bad scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethang

Reaction score
Still trying to get the Encore to shoot. I had the QLA removed and a six screw mount installed and still having flyers ruin good groups.
Today with both pyrodex and APP weighed charges and several different bullets I was getting two shots that are touching at 100 yards and then the 3rd shot almost consistantly 3 inches off the other group. Sometimes the flyer was 3 inches vertically off, sometimes to the side but nearly always around 3 inches.
I don't think I could be consitantly fliching or pulling the shot off the same amount. The only thing I have not changed is the scope. It's a Nikon 3x9 Prostaff. Does it sound to you guys like there is something that is shifting in the scope acounting for the flyers?

I really don't think anything is wrong with the scope cause it consistantly putting two together and one off. Are you spit patching between shots? If all else fails you might try the small rifle conversion by Precision Rifle and can be purchased from Cabelas. Be sure on the Encore that the forearm is not rubbing the reciever, if so do some sanding till you can slip a piece of paper between the forearm and the reciever. You may also need to look into a oversize hinge pin if yours is loose. Those can be purchased from Bellm T/C's.

The forend is not loose but that brings out another variable I hadn't thought fully through. Would removing the forend altogether and shooting off the barrel possibly help?

Ethang said:
The forend is not loose but that brings out another variable I hadn't thought fully through. Would removing the forend altogether and shooting off the barrel possibly help?

I wouldnt do that. What bullet/sabot are you using???

I agree with Grouse about the loose forearm. Another possablility is barrel heating. I found my Elite would do the same thing until I let it sit a full 15 minutes between shots over the register with the AC cranked. Then it was lights out. :)

Temps yesterday where in the 40s and 50s and I was swabbing and letting the barrel cool between shots. I was shooting APP and Pyro yesterday with Barnes spitfires and Bufflo 375's. I picked up a Leopuld 3x9 last night and will try it out today. I'm trying to figure out what the cost per pound of venison is going to be after all the $$$ to make this gun shoot :roll:

Ethang said:
I'm trying to figure out what the cost per pound of venison is going to be after all the $$$ to make this gun shoot :roll:

I wouldn't do that, if your wife ever found out how much this free meat actually costs, she just might sell all of your guns. :cry:

Ed

Back